Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mikep996 Guest

Replacement Autopilot

Happy New Year to ALL!!!

I am planning to replace the autopilot on our 53. It currently has a Raytheon Neco. It works fine but was made prior to NMEA interface capability.

I want to replace it with a current AutoP BUT...I'm trying to determine if I can get an autopilot that will interface with the current autopilot steering pump that the Neco uses. I don't see any reason to pay for and install another pump. A pump is a pump so there should be a way to buy a new AutoP control head and associated electronics without a pump.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I sent some emails to Raytheon/Raymarine but they have never responded.

Genesis Guest

Most....

... AP heads will talk to most pumps but only in a "digital" (on/off) format.

The newer pumps can do variable rate steering, and that feature does NOT interchange.

Talk to the folks who intend to make your new AP for you and see what they say about compatability. I know the new Simrads, for example, will talk to the old Robertson pumps, and that there is decent cross-manufacturer compatability as well.

My AP200 is getting flaky and this year it will probably get replaced - haven't figured out with what yet.

MORNING STAR Guest

autopilot

I just replaced my old Robertson with a the new Simrad AP25. The replacement pump is unreal (RPU 160)!! It is very small in size (circa 12"). My old one was 2 or 3 feet long!! I would not spend the money to get a new autopilot system without up grading the pump. I just sea trialed my AP25 a couple of weeks ago and it blew me away!! Tracking, capture etc. and turns were right on and smooth incl. a 90 degree turn. The AP25 "learns" your boat to enhance performance through the computer and pump. It is not cheap but I think it is worth every penny. You can learn all about it on their web site : http://www.simradusa.com/index.php.
    Dennis

jim rosenthal Guest

Autopilots..

...I odn't have one of these, so all my info is hearsay...but the long-distance passagemaker folks often use Comnav APs, which have a great reputation and are said to be very reliable. If not that, a Simrad which I think are Robertson- the commercial vessels swear by them. I would replace the whole system- yes, a pump is a pump, but you are better off with a system tht was designed to work as a whole. No question, the software has improved of late and most of the new ones have a rate-gyro or something like it. If I were buying one, I would look into a KVH digital gyrocompass as well, if you can afford it- it's a very neat toy and to some extent makes you independent of GPS as I understand it.

double eagle Guest

auto

old technology.....
    some time ago I had problems with my robertson ap-200
    apent a little here then alittle there...
    save yourself and go with all new
    could have bought the new one by the time I got done...
    by the way how much was the AP-25 ???????
    bill

am going to the miami show this yr ...saving upfor more toys

Genesis Guest

So far....

... I've been able to FIX my AP200 for essentially zero cost (but some of my time)

When that stops working, it gets tossed and replaced - I ain't spending MONEY on that thing, although it is a very nice unit (when its working right) - it is also interfaced, so it does do the "go to point" and "follow route" thing from my plotter.

BEC53 Guest

Agreed....

My Robertson is still going strong, including the wired remote on the bridge and the interface with the GPS.

I noticed that they made a wireless remote at some point. Before anyone junks one out, let me know. It would be great to pick up that wireless unit. I could captain from the bow seat like I used to with my old Benmar on my 43DC (except without that long cord).

I may also be interested in any of those old parts to have on the shelf.

Trojan Guest

auto pilot

I was told that my auto pilot does not work.I was also told that it is repairable.I don't know.It says Benmar on the control is there anyone that knows anything about this unit .Is it worth repairing?Two owners back said it was bad at the control,but neither owner wanted to use it or repair it.I might be able to repair it if I can some info. on the unit, it is old.Bill

jim rosenthal Guest

Frankly...

..I would toss it and get a whole new one if you want an AP. The cost of good new systems has dropped in the last few years. I would not mess with old technology on something that actually steers the boat- if it develops a mind of its' own and decides not to listen to you, you may have an interesting day of it out there.

BEC53 Guest

Check it out first

I had a Benmar on my 43DC. It didn't work when I bought it, but turned out to be the compass unit in the locker behind the stbd aft berth.

It just needed a new light bulb. When they burn out it sends the boat hard to stbd.

Once replaced it worked great. No interface to GPS or anything like that, but it would hold a course in most seas.