Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: About 54 MY ED

About 54 MY ED

I am looking for a 54 MY ED .
    my opinion is this model have the best layout avalaible in this size.
    But I never cruise one.
    If somebody have an opinion about her seaworthiness .
    And I plan to add a 5-6 feet hull extension for a cockpit ,anybody saw one with this extension ?
    Sorry for my poor english , I'm a french guy living in Thailand .
    Thanks for your answers.

Re: About 54 MY ED

Very few of the 54' MY or EDMY's were made. You are not very likely to get much response to your specific questions since there are not many out there. I think most of us can give you a general idea about the seaworthness and handling of other Hatteras boats of this size and configuration, however.

I own a 53EDMY and she handles well in all sea conditions, but I do recommend stabilizers. The worst handling is in a following sea, but these boats are all heavy. Due to the weight and hull design, most also give a "wet" ride. You are more likely to go through a chop than over it. I hope this helps. Others may be able to tell you more about cockpit extensions.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I have been told by people whom claim to know that the 54 MY hull was not a good performer. It did better when extended to 60'. Captddis can probably comment on this.

Check out Yachtworld.com - Hatteras 1987 was 54 extended to 60. It's listed as a 60 and is located in England. Hope this helps..... Walt

Thanks for the tip.
    I gone to yachwordl and find this boat ,but there is a mistake somewhere in the advertising it' a 54 without extension.
    And with the galley down.
    I am looking for one with the galley up,with this layout you have 3 queen bed cabin and this is perfect for my charter project ( I own and run a resort in Thailand and I want to add a yacht ).
    For the boat I think I find her in US already but my question is :
    Is there somebody who know a 54 with a cockpit extension ?
    If not ,what about the 53 with cockpit extension ?
    It's not a big deal to build this extension if I don't move the propeller and the rudder.but is the boat so easy to handle afterward ?
    ...And I know she is and heavy boat but the speed is not a matter for me , 10 Knots should be Ok
    Thanks.

well, maybe the cockpit extention isn't a big deal in thailand were labor is probably cheap, but around here it's a 6 figure deal.

53s have less beam than the 54 so, even if you go to a 58 YF (53 with a cockpit) you are loosing a lot of space inside.

i've never seen a boat in that size range with 3 queen SRs. Aft yes, I guess maybe the VIP can be converted, but converting the bow SR to a queen seems to be a tough one.

i'm not sure why you'd specifically want a galley up for charter, seems to me that guests might prefer to be separated from the "kitchen".
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

The 54ED is a unique boat. The galley up creates a huge bar/counter area and it is very open and light. In fact, it is too light for me. That time period saw a divergence from the wood interior to the light fabics and laminates for the "modern" look. It did have 3 queen staterooms and a forth stateroom with bunks. If you are not familiar with it, here is the link to the brochure.

http://www.hatterasowners.com/Brochu...EDArchives.htm
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Yes this model have a very specific layout with the 3 queen size cabin and the 4th smaller one.
    It's a lot more convenient for charter than the 53 or the 58 ,they have only one really confortable cabin.
    And the galley-up is not a problem too ,I will use it more like a bar ,most of the meal will be taken in the seashore restaurant.

Yes the labor is so cheap in Thailand ,and the material too.
    If I need 1000 Kg of fiberglass and resin ,and I think it's enought this will cost me less than 3000 USD.
    And four guy working during 3 months ,about 4000 USD.

Can you believe I build two years ago a 36 feet lobster style boat in 10 months. ( Strip planking with first class epoxy resin )
    At all she cost me less 35,000 USD ,everything included ,200hp engine,electronic....

oh the 54 ED ? duh...i was looking at the 54MY :-)

nice layout, but indeed it looks a floating ... HOSPITAL ! it's too white ! need to re veneer that boat :-)
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat