Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: lucky me

Question lucky me

i have a 1967 41ft. tc with twin 8-53 detroits. can anyone tell if both engines turn in the same direction? thanks

Re: lucky me

I believe the engines do and the transmissions change the direction.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

If they are Allison gears, both engines turn INBOARD. If they happen to be Velvetdrives they usually turn outboard, although Vdrives can be reversed. TwinDisc gears can be reversed and have both engines run CW or CCW or any combination. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

They are probably TD 506 gears. Like the ones in mine.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I believe all Hatteras props were counter-rotating, but Boatsb is right that it is usually done in the gears with diesels. The only way to be positive is to pop an engine hatch, start each engine one at a time and note which way the pulleys turn.

au contraire my friend. My friends old international diesels were swapped end for end to get counter rotation. Best design ever since all the parts that needed attention were on the accessible side.

The flywheel and housing could be attached to either end and the accessories too. The back of the engines were pretty bare and needed little attention.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Also my old Cummins 504's motors ran two different directions. I too was told all diesels run the same WRONG.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    au contraire my friend. My friends old international diesels were swapped end for end to get counter rotation. Best design ever since all the parts that needed attention were on the accessible side.

The flywheel and housing could be attached to either end and the accessories too. The back of the engines were pretty bare and needed little attention.

True that is the way Palmer Marine did it.

The serial numbers on our 53MY's 8v71Tis on our 53MY show that one is a RH engine, the other is a LH engine. Your engine serial numbers will show whether they are left or right rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I believe the engines do and the transmissions change the direction.
    I guess every boat is different. My 31' Center Console's twin inboard Cummins B series both turn the same way with ZF gears and one runs in reverse and one runs in forward to go forward, the opposite for reverse. I have never rebuilt any of my Detroits, so I don't know for sure. The easiest way is probably just to pop a hatch and take a look see.