Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

11 whaler on ebay

For you california-ites, there is an 11' whaler with engine on ebay with a $1,200 buy it now. Puttering around, it could save you that much in fuel in a yr or two.
    Item number: 230196185335
    45C360-1970 ... "Good Bait" - Sag Harbor,NY
    31 Bertram Bahia Mar-1970 ... "Bertramp" - Ft Lauderdale
    21 Whaler Impact-1996 ... Ft Lauderdale, FL/Sag Harbor, NY

Re: 11 whaler on ebay

What does an 11'4" Whaler with a 25hp outboard weigh? Want to make sure my davit will lift it. Also, an inherent problems with these boats (always had inflatables), hull blistering, etc? Also, current literature shows a max capacity of 15hp. Were older ones rated higher, or is the PO a speed freak?
    Last edited by kwerges; 11-29-2007 at 11:31 AM.

not my boat ....
    just saw it and thought that others might be interested
    see www.continuouswave.com where the "whaler-heads" hang out ... and some "Hatt-heads" too. That site has all the info you might ever want.
    never known of whalers to have blister problems ... at least none in the 7 or 8 different ones I have owned over the years.

I bought an 11' Whaler w/ a 15hp Johnson on ebay and tried to fit it on my boat, but the davit was in the way. My 600lb davit lifted it just fine, though. I think that they are all rated at 15hp but you could be right that the newer ones are different. As a kid, I owned a 9' with a 5hp, an 11' with a 15hp, and a 13' with a 40hp. I guess I started with the 1 footitis from a young age.

BTW, my 13' was always in freshwater and I never painted the bottom. It did develop blisters and they were quite bad. Not big, but, wow, there sure were a bunch of them all over that boat.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 11-29-2007 at 03:32 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

my whalers:
    13s - 3
    15s - 3
    17s - 2

have all been salt water boats wih painted bottoms and no blister problems ... I dunno.

Even if the engine is overpowered, the 11' hulls are hard to find at reasonable prices, people charge more for the 11s than the 13s, because there are fewer. I'd off the 25hp and pick up a 15. I would guess entire rig with fuel to be MAYBE 400lbs. As for the comparison to inflatables. I see lots of whalers from the 60s & 70s ... I own one, just sold another. Would you really want a 30 - 40yr old inflatable ??

I bought my 11 ft. Whaler new in 1975 and it's still going strong. The standard model was originally rated for 10 hp, but later a steering wheel and throttle/shifter were added on a console for the center seat, which raised the permissable hp to 20. I have a Johnson 15 on mine as the same engine is used for both the 9.9 or 10 hp and the 15, no extra weight. The 15 turns another 1000 rpm faster to get the extra power. The weight of the Whaler alone was 210 lbs, but somehow mine seems heavier. It goes up behind the flybridge on my 50MY. The boat tolerates the weight just fine. I did add a stainless tubing upright between the aft edge of the flybridge deck and the main deck as I was getting some cracking at my uprights, which are where the wing doors are on the 53MYs. I thought the weight of the dingy may have caused the cracking, and this fixed it.

Mine has almost always been in salt water. No blisters. I used to leave it in the water when anchored out, but between reports of dingy thefts (mostly inflatables) and the possibility of having an emergency move at night I now mostly haul it up, so it's not in the water as much. I do have bottom paint on it, and the whole boat has been Imroned inside and out along with Fanfare. I painted the varnished seats white for less maintenance. A few years ago I replaced the black rubber rubrail as it was leaving black marks. That's it for repairs.

It is a perfect and speedy planing boat for one or two. Three is OK, but four adults requires care and attention to passing wakes. Still, I often take four adults snorkeling in reasonable ocean waves. As with all Whalers, it doesn't tip and it has the unsinkable flotation. After 32 years it's as good as new. I don't think this would be true of many other dinks, especially inflatables.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932

I bought a 1980 11' Whaler 2 years ago for a tender. The rated hp for mine with remote steering is 20hp. I did the boat over last winter ( Imron and barrier coat hull ) and found no blisters. I am in New England and as far as I know the boat was in this area since new so has been on the hard in the Winter months. I put a new Tohatsu 18hp 4 stroke on it this year ( love the motor but it is a little heavy ) We love the Whaler as a tender. Great for 2 adults, OK for 3, must watch for wakes with 4 ( will take water over the bow. Don't ask how I know that. )
    I saw the new 11' Whaler at last years Boat Show and they are rated for 25hp.
    Fred