Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 118 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Re: I Cant Take The Strain

Well if the gland is bigger than the tube and you want to get it right get a shop to turn the gland down in a lathe to 3 3/8". Then find the hose if you absouloutly can't find it then go with a good hose like shielflex 2 no wire in 3 3/8" and call it a day. I think I would try the 3 1/2" and see if it clamps down you will know if it's ok but you have to try it. I'm just thinking that a thick wall hose without wire will snug up to it.

The other posability although I have no idea where you would find it would be a 1/16" wall rubber hose that could be stretched over the gland to bring it to 3 1/2" that would be better than an epoxy solution I don't like that idea at all.

Brian

I was waiting for that Sky. I think I can whip up a sleeve to glue on the tube.
    Its only a 2-1/2 long stub. As long as you say go for it I'm all ears LOL. That seems like the logical approach.
    Sorry for being such a PITA fellas, but I wanted to have EVERYTHING together for the reassembly. I even picked up the CORRECT flywheel bolts today. FWIW the DD guy looked them up and they were wrong... Allison flywheel-itis! He said to give him the engine seial number which I got from the good old Hatt book and he looked them up again. No listing... Allison-itis again! 10 steps forward and 3 to the rear! Took a sample in and was out the door in five minutes! ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 12-02-2007 at 07:47 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

I don't know if you noticed in an earlier post from Mike, but although
    the Buck Algonquin site Product Pages are under construction, the
    "Download Catalog" at the bottom is just fine. The complete catalog
    does have what you need, and also the clamps.

I also like the "build up the fiberglass" approach, and then use
    original Buck Algonquin hose.

Silicone, maybe save that for something less critical. And the colors
    were a joke :-)

Best of luck,
    DAN

Sometimes a fit of disgust sweeps over me... feels kinda like nausea after eating a whole cheese cake and chugging a warm beer. LOL. I knew you were joshin' me about the colors, but some of them go fast guys are queer for that stuff...colors like chatreuse or my favorite, pomegranate'. Kripes! After 100 hours its all gonna be black and cruddy again anyway.
    I was thinking about the sleeve deal with a piece of PVC pipe pressed on with 5200. As I mentioned, I can turn the gland down but then I'm stuck with 3-3/8 and thats even harder (but not impossible) to find. The 5200 has a couple of weeks to cure or epoxy it on; it should be as one then.
    162 days to go and counting. Time will tell. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

Okay, since you asked, here's how I would do it. First go to WM and get a piece of that fine woven matte. It looks like the skin out matte, thin with a tight weave. Then cut it in strips 2 1/2" wide and only long enough to wrap around the tube one time without overlapping. Sand the tube to get it clean so that the epoxy will adhere well. Then soak the each strip with West System and add it to the tube one at a time. Let each one set up and then get your calipers out. After you measure the first one on there, you will be able to tell how many more layers you will need. Once you are finished, sand the finished tube to get rid of any irregularities and you are ready for the hose.
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 11-26-2007 at 06:26 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

[QUOTE=drburke;81390]I don't know if you noticed in an earlier post from Mike, but although
    the Buck Algonquin site Product Pages are under construction, the
    "Download Catalog" at the bottom is just fine. The complete catalog
    does have what you need, and also the clamps.

I also like the "build up the fiberglass" approach, and then use
    original Buck Algonquin hose.

SHORT RANT...
    The only problem with B/A is that they are whore sale only... I hate that! Some shot head place like WM can buy from them but I cant. Shoot, Brent might get some grease on his sailing shorts. T M F R P M O ! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    T M F R P M O !
    What the.....???

Would you mind explai...

Oh wait.....

Never mind.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

How about this:

http://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/series.aspx?id=124

And Sky has really thought this out!

DAN

Also, to belatedly answer an earlier question about Mr Tee clamp
    prices, it appears $4-5 might be more reasonable.

http://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/series.aspx?id=128

I have *not* done business with these folks, so maybe someone
    else can speak to whether they are good.

DAN
    (can't say T-clamp without thinking "I pity the fool...")

AHHH The pucker string is starting to relax ! I was really feeling like a warped frustrated old man, now at least I feel younger. Its wierd when you get stressed out over something stupid. I just bought my cutlass bearings from them and they were very reasonable. The hose is a tad high, but the clamps are good, plus the B/A clamps come with long bolts so size is not soo critical.
    I gonna toss them some business tomorrow!
    I think I'll chase that nitro tab with a Johnny Walker Red O T R. ---Makes ya feel like a yachtsman haha ! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY