Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 118 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Re: I Cant Take The Strain

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Hmmm, why grade 8? I guess you never gonna shear soft bolts because there is so many of them, but isn't shearing bolts cheaper than shearing other stuff?

From an engineer??????????????

If I remember the physics of the coupler the bolts do not prevent the spinning of the components. The compression between the two does. Grade 8 will not stretch and holds in place. Also it needs to be fine thread and torqued correctly.

If it was done with softer bolts and the two surfaces slipped the bolts would not sheer so easy but would probably mess up the surfaces.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Depending on the torque, yes the friction due to clamping force is what is usually carries the load.

I was just doing some thinking out load lol. I guess one could torque enough so that in normal operation, the load is transfered via friction between the two faces, but if SHTF, the fiction connection will slip and shear the bolts.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

It was a great day to shovel the deck (?) and throw the new wheels on.
    And for the engineering kids here, I had perused the DD bible about flywheel installation and they want the lubed 9/16 s.a.e. bolts torqued to 50 lbs. THEN stretch them 90-120 degrees for maximum clamping force. A reference was made that the torque values dont guarantee accurate clamping. That kinda reminded me of horizontal joint bolting on steam turbines. We would run the 6" bolts to zero cold, heat them with cal-rod heaters, and tighten them 180 degrees. At 24 threads per inch, how much is the stretch Krush?
    Winter really blows... ALREADY !! ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 12-08-2007 at 07:14 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

This is something the old sub has never seen before. Hope it doesnt go into de-fib! She's already hypothermic LOL ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 12-08-2007 at 07:14 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

Those sure are some nice shiney props, Bill. But, you've got your nuts all mixed up
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I was gonna put the props on the wrong sides to see if any experts spotted that but I wouldve strained those nuts. LOL The wheels arent on tight yet, just in storage. The strained nuts debate will continue, I'm sure! I am still hoping for Wednesday or Thursday next week. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

She dont sweat much for a fat girl... Committed a cardinal sin yesterday; left my camera on the boat !
    I feel like a new dad-to-be at the maternity ward, waiting for the trans to get done. All day doing nervous work.
    Fixed the two broken mounts on the binnacle from the helm crashing back when you open it for service. Teak stop blocks are on order for this week. That cheesy chain has got to go! ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 12-15-2007 at 11:58 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

Also got around to framing the cruddy double plwood bulkhead edge. Really cleaned up the manway. Shhh! I also used some Alex caulk in the corners for a really clean smooth look! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Yesterday, Amohotep; John "Max" Maksimic stopped by and offered to install the new rear main seal. We removed the service sleeve on the crank and made a nifty tool for pressing the new sleeve and seal in.
    If youre wondering DDIS, we indicated the seal to the crank. The book called or .015 and we had .002" runout. Pretty good eh? Tomorrow is chasing parts for the new overhead consol above the helm. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Very nice work, as usual. I am quite impressed at that rear seal installation.

DAN

[In these politically correct times, shouldn't "manway" be updated to "person-way"? And also, do you mind changing you login to "YachtPersonWilliam"? ]