Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Re: I Cant Take The Strain

The raping of our ex homestead is almost finished. Bulldozers come in this morning to finish them off ;-(
    From THIS to this... Those were 200 year old oak and hickory trees. Damned scorched earth policy! ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 07-15-2008 at 06:11 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Back from the dead

Well guys, when it rains it pours. Finally got the word about a real job. This may be of interest to some here. A while back there was some discussion about Gulf Coast Filtration... The outfit that I'm starting at Wednesday has gone one better...
    This system uses oil fed from a tee at the pressure switch to a regulated one micron filter, then to a unit that heats the oil and reduces any foreign liquids such as fuel or glycol and water and returns to the crankcase. The heater only runs when the ignition is on.
    This is a travel job and I'll be in Nashville Il. all week then Dallas oil fields next week and then Chicago for the week after. Its a chance to make some fat dough for sub improvements next winter. I get a laptop with the job so maybe I can stay tuned in here as well!
    Their opinion is that GCF is antique technology ... Heres the links to both. Maybe I can wrangle a discount for the DIY's... ws

http://oilpursys.com/
    http://www.gulfcoastfilters.com/prod...il_filters.htm

I found this kinda related to the other current thred about the full crap cans and bypass filters "crank case overflow tank?"
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

Clean oil is good. However clean oil with low viscosity not good. I did not read any info on these systems. But are they saying the Viscosity is going to be o.k. for longer or what???

garyd
    Have Fun Boating

Hey Gary!
    As I am just starting in this business, I tried to promote marine units to the manager also... evidently he hadnt realized the size of the market thats available also...
    All I know is that an average oil filter is about 20 micron and the filter on this unit is between 1 and 2 micron. The sale of one of these units comes with semi annual lube analysis and is supposed to extend the oil change intervals on trucks to about 40K miles.
    Several commercial boats Ive worked on had the Gulf Coast units and seemed to really extend the oil life.
    I am under the impression that a secondary filter with a fresh oil change should extend the viscosity lifespan as well. I'm sure that by the end of next week I will have a lot my questions answered and will surely post them here... stay tuned! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Now wheres that damn truss???

No time for the yacht this week or next... Got in from Nashville ILLINOIS around 1100 yesterday and gotta get ready for a 0600 flight to Dallas tomorrow. Laundry, bills and dog training school today! Say hi to everyone for me LOL This is the OPS system as installed by moi on an ISX Cummins and a Volvo semi tractor(s). Each has about 400,000 miles and are '07s. The cummins head bit the dust! ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 08-17-2008 at 03:58 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

Got back from DullAss last night and came to the realization that after not flying commercial lines for a while that things have changed. Security is a joke especially at Dallas... I had to wait for some 16 yo babe to unpack 3 bags and complain about shampoo bottles and why she couldnt take them aboard... Watch the news in the last 2 years??? All that was missing there was the rectal scan; thats next! Thanks osama!
    'Ol Willy was the last one on the plane, late of course, and after sneaking an oversized bag onboard, they had to re-open the plane and get a baggage guy to open the cargo hold. Needless to say when he opened the overhead for the umpteenth time in flight, one of his three laptops crashed down on you know who. All that, and my check in bag was $15 PLUS $50 for being over 50# (61# to be exact!). DO NOT fly American...
    Dallas was mild... only 107 in the shade, and there aint none; dont complain about Miami Ange !!! The oil rigs are all about 200 miles from Bugtussle Tx. and we'd spend 4-5 ours traveling from site to site and stay until 3 am daily... and start at 7 am to beat the heat. Its only 87 in the morning! The only good thing I could think about Dallas was about the trip home; YIKES!! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

These sights are all remote and have 2 60 series gensets screaming away all day and night. Must be about 80-100kw each. The 3512 and D398 Cats run mud pumps for drilling. Theyre like a 2 story pressure washer and blazing hot as well.
    These rigs are all portable and get set up in two days and down and moved in another two. The crew is on for 7 - 12s and then off 7, and make about $35/hour year round. When on, they all stay in a bunk house / trailer;BRUTAL!! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY