Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Underwater lights (cost effective)

Yes, oceanled has some output. But, as said before watts is watts and the price of LEDs have to come down before they are in our game.
    But if the bulbs get 3 or 4000 hours what's so bad about that? I'm looking for something that we use when in clear water and on an occasional basis. Xenon seems to be about the best for the bucks when considering lumens output.
    Regards
    Dan

2. Re: Underwater lights (cost effective)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bradley View Post
    You mean $3000 per light seemed High to you?
    That is a lot of cabbage. If one feels that they have to impress, then be my guest. However, the fish don't know how much you paid. LOL
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

The Abyss lights looked good and they are coming out with larger ones in Febuary. I liked the Ocean LED the best but they also cost the most. Has anyone used the Abyss lights? Buzz

4. Re: Underwater lights (cost effective)

Just to add some confusion/clarity, LOL I did some research and the xenon bulbs do produce a lot more lumens per watt than the halogens. The information I saw showed that a 50 watt halogen produces roughly 1000 lumens/meter and the xenon produces 3200 lumens/meter or 3x the light for the same watts. So I retract my watts is watts statement when it comes to xenon. Xenon also wins on the kelvin color scale providing more useable light that the human eye can see. But you have to pay to play.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish

Just to throw another wrench in the mix.

What color really travels well underwater? (Don't know).

I know that with LEDs you can pick the color you want and it just produces that color.

While, White is nice, other colors might be better for underwater viewing.

6. Re: Underwater lights (cost effective)

Here ya go: http://www.dartmouth.edu/~etrnsfer/water.htm

If you use a red light you won't see anything at all. LOL
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish

Abyss has raised their prices for the 600 model from $169 to $210.
    They have actually raised all prices. I do not like companies that keep increasing their prices when get promoted in message boards..

I am looking to buy some of these lights, let me know if you know where I can get them for the original price
    Last edited by akintosyali; 12-19-2007 at 11:11 AM. Reason: typos
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

There is a guy over on THT that is making and selling a surface light that looks pretty good.
    Here is the link if it works.

As seen in this thread http://www.thehulltruth.com/forums/t...d=179810&start...

They will be slimmer in design and sell for 150.00 each or 125.00 each for two or more. I can make the power exit the back of the unit to straight through the transom or out the top to be run up the transom.

My PM box is going nuts so please post here with quantity and configuration. If you already PMd me then I already have you down.

Thanks
    Chris
    "Mambeaux"
    1985 43MY