Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rebuilt 12-71Tis Sea Trial results & cost- finally

He guys,

I would like your comments on the sea trial results and suggestions of Covington DD here in Wilmington -- after months of delays waiting for parts, etc., the rebuild of our engines is complete, and a sea trial (actually three) was recently completed. The total cost for the rebuilds of both engines was six figures. That included new camshaft on port engine and new starters and alternators for both engines. If you would like more specific cost and/or breakdown info, send me a PM and I will be happy to provide them for you. I will say that labor on the stbd engine was 377.51 hours, but was substantially reduced by Covington.

During the first two sea trials there were numerous small problems, but largest was problems with the injectors. During the third sea trial, the injectors seemed to be fine.

Here are results:

As I understand it the engines should turn up to 2300 rpms at WOT (is that correct?). I thought factory was 2500 Max no load, and max full load is 2300).

The stbd engine at WOT turned up only 2144 rpms and port 2182.... Covington indicates that the reason for the difference is that I need to get some pitch taken off the props to free the engines up so they'll turn 2300 rpms at WOT. Covinton indicates that would allow the engines to live longer and we can get 2300 rpms at WOT. Now, as is without prop changes, they are suggesting that the running rpms should stay around 1800 to 1850, and should not exceed 1850. If I am reading their notes correctly, cruise speed achieved 14 knts, full speed WOT 21 knots. But I will have to confirm that.

What say you guys? Comments and observations will be appreciated! Does this sound reasonable? Should I have the props' pitch changed? Is that even possible using my same props?

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by Tawney1; 12-17-2007 at 11:58 AM.
    1985 61' MY - Miss Mary Alma

"Find the good - and praise it !"

Re: Rebuilt 12-71Tis Sea Trial results & cost- finally

congrats

you shoudl be able to get 100/120 rom back by taking pitch off your props but what kind of rpm were you turning at WOT before the rebuilt ? were you turning rated RPM ?

14kts cruise is just about the worst possible speed, that cant' be accurate. if you get 21kts WOT then i would imagine your cruise would be fully on plane around 17/18kts. at 14kts, you're off plane, pushing a big wave and overloading those engines.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I take care of a 1984 61MY. We [ myself and another] rebuilt the engines in 3/99. The boat turned up 2180 after overhaul. The PO replaced the props and they were too big. Had Blackdog tune and repitch the props for 2300+ fully loaded. Cruise @ 2050 is 16 kt. WOT with a new bottom is 19.9kt @ 2320
    All speeds per GPS. 9 years later and no leaks or problems, just oil + filters and impellers everyother year. Also had 2 coolant changes. Installed 24 new injectors at overhaul and no failures.
    They overhaul was done in the boat and had everything from new cranks to new intercoolers. Hit six figures in 99 and that was with my lower labor rate.
    Dave.

4. Rebuilt 12-71Tis Sea Trial results & cost- finally

Your should read the thread here "Larger props for efficiency and longer engine life" started by Brian. It will addresss your question. The bottom line is that if you want to cruise at moderate RPM and speed for fuel efficiency,say 1300 or 1500 RPM and are willing to give up some top end speed, keep the props a bit big like they are now. What Covington means is that if you want to run at higher RPM and cruise speed, say 1800 RPM, then you'd help the engines at this range by reducing pitch an inch or two to increase RPM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Paul,
    I had the same issue re: props. My no load WOT was fine, but I could not make it there under load. I had 2 1/2" of pitch taken out of my props and now all is well. As long as your props are in good shape and have not been worked on too much in the past, they should be able to change them at a good prop shop. I usually cruise at 10kts, but I wanted to keep the ability to get up and go without lugging the engines. That 2 1/2" of pitch seemed to make no real difference in top end speed or fuel economy either.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

6. Re: Rebuilt 12-71Tis Sea Trial results & cost- finally

Do not run the boat on step without fixing the wheels.

You are SEVERELY overloaded and this will have a major impact on engine life if not addressed. This sort of overloading is one of the primary causes of premature engine failure.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Thanks very much guys. If I read Covington's notes correctly, 14 knts is correct. I am meeting with them on Wednesday, however, and will confirm that. It seems that the consensus is to change the prop pitch....
    1985 61' MY - Miss Mary Alma

"Find the good - and praise it !"

I would still look at the performance figures before the rebuild or better over the years leading up to them. If all was OK with the engines and props before they needed the rebuild why do the props need to be changed now?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I have 12-71s and they produce 2350 rpm at wot. At 2100 rpm 19 kts. My props are 31/30.7. All rpms were read by a mechanic with electric tach. Hope this helps.

Your engines are most likely putting out rated power. The next question would be then why won't they turn full RPM unless you de pitch the props. The reason is that everyting is maxed out when the boat was built Hat wanted to be able to get the most speed they could so they set it up with props that would absorb every bit of power the engines could produce. That was with a brand new boat everything was clean and perfect. Now it's 20 + years old weights been added and re distributed props and shafts are not perfect and on and on so it's not un usuall at all to have to de pitch a little to turn full rated RPM.

If you want to run up on plane at or near WOT then you must de pitch. If you plan to run slower and want to know at what point you will overload check the exhaust temp before the turbo that will tell the story. It's all about finding the RPM you can run up to before you overload your mechanic may have already done that and come up with 1800 RPM.

I think unless your running at or near displacment speed I would de pitch. The whole prop loading curve is so mis understood you would probably be wise to de pitch for full rated RPM to protect your warrantee.

Brian