Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

New Bottom Paint, Not So Good Paint

Well, I like to experiment, if it doesn't put the boat in peril. I tried using Ace porch paint, instead of the "ablative" $140+ bottom paint, since I sit right out in a river that flows fairly well. So I just got hauled for the Winter last weekend.

While I haven't seen it in person, the yard manager called to say the porch paint was
    a) coming off when they power sprayed the bottom in the slings, and
    b) the porch paint was coming off due to much spraying and
    c) they would need to power spray for 3 hours, because there was so much "fuzz" accumulated.

The ferry service uses porch paint to good effect, but they have their bottoms on the move constantly, i.e. no sitting. So it works for them, but not when you sit for a couple weeks at a time.

Live and learn. So now I switch to blue (the original bottom color, from black) bottom paint and spring for the "expensive spread" next fitout.

That's my report.
    Last edited by spartonboat1; 10-10-2007 at 09:06 PM. Reason: typo
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Re: New Bottom Paint, Not So Good Paint

Seriously, use the $49 west junk. I put about 4 gallons on the 58, No prep either, which sat in brackish water for 5 months and then up here on the river and when they hauled me last week (thats 14 months in the water) there was only a handful of barnacles on the bottom with zebras growing on them; kinda like co-habitating but different. (?) The bow shot shows the paint after drying overnight in the slings after the lift. ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 10-11-2007 at 08:23 PM.

3. Re: New Bottom Paint, Not So Good Paint

I put three coats of Micron CSC bottom paint on in 2004 and it's still going strong..... And i have a diver clean the bottom 6-8 times a year...

Will be hauling the boat next year though......
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com