Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

A GalleyMaid water pump Q.

Over the last weekend our GM water pump started cycling frequently to regain pressure. In the end it would cycle every 2 mins or so and on a couple of occasions it pinged the breaker. My ProSine inverter panel showed it drawing 15 - 18 amps while cylcing; which seemed high to me. A bunch of questions...

Does it seem my faithfull GM is nearing the end of useful life and needs a replacment or rebuild?

If not, where is my best bet to start problem solving on the pressure loss: stator and intake hoses?

What about the amp draw? Is a high draw a sign of another, seperate problem emerging?

Thanks for the direct and indirect guidance from this Forum. It is so great to have somewhere to turn for guidance on older Hats! Thanks.

Re: A GalleyMaid water pump Q.

If you're pump is cycling every so many minutes, that may indicate you're loosing pressure somewhere such as through a small water leak. Question - is the cap to your dockside water hook-up securely fastened? If that cap is not securly fastened, water will leak out of there slowly causing the pressure to drop and the pump to cycle every so many minutes. That is one of those often overlooked places for pressurized water to escape! Are all of your faucets and hose spigots completely closed - how about the hose spigot in the engine room? Check the stuff you don't use or look at all that often.

An indication of a bad stator occurs when your pump will not pump water, even though the motor is running and trying. Stators are wear items. Just a few days ago, I was trying to prime my pump and just could not get it to go. Turns out - stator was worn. We took out the old one, replaced it and the pump primed instantly. If you're getting the pump to prime and pump water, then the stator probably isn't the problem. Sounds like you're leaking water somewhere.

I can't answer the amp questions. Electricity is not my forte.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Thanks. I did check all the easy spots, such as faucets and there were no apprarent water leaks or puddles. But I did not look at the docksde water access. I'll give that a look this weekend.
    The thought of a leak somewhere hidden in the plumbing doens't sound too pleasant.
    Thanks for the lead.

Ampacity is fine. Likely check valve in the intake line has crap. Replace, don't clean.

Ted

If you can't find a leak there should be a check valve between the tank and the pump. If that gets stuck the pressurized water will slowly flow backward back into the tank and cause the pump to cycle.

Brian

Ted & Brian;
    Thanks for the tips. Another couple of items to look into this weekend.
    Much appreciated.
    Geoff