Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A LONG WAY DOWN

mgernes Guest

A LONG WAY DOWN

I boat on the Upper Mississippi and am a first year owner of a 53MY. Alot of our time will be spent pulling up on sandbars with other friends and boaters. With the high bow of the Hatteras boat, has anyone found a safe and convenient method(i.e. ladder,plank,...) to get down off the bow? I have seen the telescoping ladders but have been told that they fill with sand and become unusable.

Thanks for any feedback.

marioG Guest

beaching

if it works for a 58' it should work for a 53'. I'm not sure how to get down off the bow but a mid ships stairs would work well i belive. more importantly, i feel that one or two stern anchors should be put out and set well...

check this link out...

simply beautiful

marioG

www.yachtworld.com/core/l...oto=1&url=

mikep996 Guest

WOW!!! :eek

Now THAT's the way to cruise in a Hatt!

Though I have to admit I'd be afraid to do it for fear of damaging the props/struts/rudders. :rolleyes

Nonchalant1 Guest
    Be careful of your propshafts and struts. They extend under water 1/2 the length of the boat to the back of your engine room and can be severely damaged by the weight of the boat on a sandbar. A 55,000 lb, 4 1/2 ft. draft, 53MY is a pretty big boat to beach. If you do, I'd just get on and off from the swim platform and dinghy in.

Doug Shuman
    1978 53MY

mgernes Guest
    Thanks for the thoughtful advise.

There are a couple of other 53MY that use the sandbars all the time. I will have to make sure they have not encountered any damages as a result of using the beaches. I know that the sandbars drop off quickly, so maybe the depth will not be an issue.

Regards,

Marcus Gernes
    BeachHouse

double eagle Guest

down.......................

where ws this pic taken ...????
    the water is so clear....
    was it the bahamas????
    sure looks nice...........
    even in the keys the water is not that clear...
    only sometimes.....
    bill
    double eagle

Trojan Guest

Re: down.......................

Thats a beauty of a boat.I just can't find it in my mind to ground my boat. I just anchor both ends.It would be my luck to get stuck and not be able to get off.We don't have sand beaches up here like that and if the wind comes up when grounded.We don't have any water ether.It sure looks inviting.Bill

Genesis Guest

We have folks that do that all the time around here....

.... but I'm not one of them.

Intentionally beach my Hatt? Not a chance.

PascalG Guest

beaching

what a shot! has to be the bahamas... no such waters in the keys... except maybe the dry Tortugas but I've never been there (yet)

I guess it's feasible if you are SURE that the bottom drop out quickly enough... sending someone in the water first to check the bottom ... but few beaches or sand bar are elligible candidates. No current and no wind are a must. if something goes wrong, things can go downhill VERY quickly. it only take an afternoon rainshower to kick the winds to 20kts...

ever since i moved to inboards, I stopped beaching my boat.

pascal
    miami, fl
    70 53my

Bob Bradley Guest

So much for productivity today

Sitting here in snowy CT, looking at that shot, was to say the least...distracting. How am I supposed to get any work done now?

Seriously, I would be very concerned about ingesting gritty sand into my raw water impeller from the propwash as you back out.