Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Cushion Foam replacement ??

OK,
    I made the mistake of opening up one of my cushions. Yep, original, 45 year old. Funny smells. I think it might be a cheap way to get high, but I think it maight have additional side effects....

SO - What is the ECONOMICAL way to replace the foam in the cushions? I am thinking 3" memory foam from ebay. Buy a few mattresses, cut to size. Any one has tried something like this before??
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Re: Cushion Foam replacement ??

No one ever had to replace the foam in the cushions??
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Re: Cushion Foam replacement ??

Indoor or outdoor cushions? Beds or seating structures?

I don't have indoor boat cushions, just regular furniture. However, for outdoor cushions, there is a product out there that basically allows water to flow right through it and it dries very fast. You can buy it at Sailrite and probably other places too. www.sailrite.com On the bottom of outdoor cushions, use a mesh type of fabric so the insides can breath and dry.

I have done some re-foaming of some stuff in the past, though. Generally, I determine the required thickness for the project (puffy sofa cushions like you find in your house will take a different foam product than the chair cushion in your kitchen or on your deck), and then proceed to the fabric store or upholstry supplier and sit on various foam pieces to see what feels right. You'll need to wrap the bare foam cushions in that gauze stuff to keep the fabric from sticking to it and becoming twisted on the cushion as it gets used.

For my aft deck chairs, I used Sunbrella on the top and sides, and then marine vinyl on the bottom. When folks have wet bathing suits, we turn the cushion over so the seat doesn't get wet...come dinner time, everyone has a dry place to sit.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

4. Re: Cushion Foam replacement ??

Akin, There is no cheap way to replace the foam that you will be happy with. The reason they get funky is the water the foam absorbs over time and the normal foam used for house cushions often sucks up the water like a sponge. Many different types of foam but you probably want one that either never absorbs water or allows the water to pass thorugh so it can dry.

I ended up going to a local supplier and just handing the money over. I found some on line that was less expensive, but then you had to ship it and never got to test sit it either.. Found them in the good old yellow pages.

What really felt best to me was a composite foam cushion of soft inner with a thin layer of stiff closed cell glued to the outside on the center layer. Makes it more water resistant as well. I bought a large sheet of closed cell that I used for all the outside cushions. They can be rinsed with the hose and dry right away - just a bit stiff to sit on until you get used to it.