Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What size batteries

My recently purchased 34 ft cruiser doesn't turn over very quickly at start. The battery boxes in the engine room look big for the 2 batteries on board. It's powered by twin 440's. I know the batteries are old and probably need replacing, but does anyone know what size I should have.
    Family Tides - 1969 41' Twin Cabin
    Mema - 1984 17' Boston Whaler Montauk
    High Bar Harbor Yacht Club
    Barnegat Light NJ

Re: What size batteries

I take the 440's to mean big block gassers. If so they should turn over fine with a standard type ( group 27 I believe) battery but if there is room for a larger one like an 8D use it.

The slow cranking can be from bad connections and undersized battery cables or even a bad starter but if both do it I would bet on the cables.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks Scott, cables are sure cheaper than batteries so I'll change them first.
    Barnegat Light NJ

How much larger than the batteries are the boxes?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I think the boxes are at least a few inches port to starboard and 4 or more bow to stern. This boat is a 1967DCMY and the batteries in it are old wet cell that you need to fill with distilled water. Do you think it's time?
    Barnegat Light NJ

I ran 4D and 8D batteries for my gas engines so I had extra juice for accessories and emergencies. The batteries you have may be fine and there is no need to replace them unless you are upgrading them.

I have wet cells on my boat and add water and take specific gravity readings every 2 months (30 minutes total). Its not a problem in my mind and they seem to last 4 or more years.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I wouldn't say batteries are cheaper....I just replaced my 12volt system. The 2/0 tin cable I used for the negative side and positive side was just for cable....(not the other items like shrink tape for 2/0 connectors and the connectors and lugs) about $750. I think I spent $1200 for the entire project, which also included replacing some parts in the battery switch box (ANL fuses).

I got 2 8D's at about 135 each. I have plenty of reserve with them.

Just an FYI since I just went through it!

If the old cable is good and properly sized it makes no sense to change it out. Especially at those costs. Copper is not cheap.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Don't change the cable just to change it. Check for voltage drop first. If it indicates a bad cable and not just a bad connection, THEN change the cable. If the batts are good, odds are it's a connection issue anyway.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I had no idea the cable could be that expensive. I'll be on the boat Friday and check all the connections. Hopefully that's all it is.
    Barnegat Light NJ