Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: airseps

airseps

Question, I have a couple of 8v53n's with airseps and K&N air filters. Is there any type of maint I should be doing to the airseps? I have cleaned the air filters, but I remember somebody on the forum saying something about the "airbox" draining the oil from them? Thanks in advance

Lenz

Re: airseps

AirSep oil return is designed to flow back to engine. Don't do that. Instead, run the drain line to a "crap can" stuffed with some scraps of bilge diapers.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    AirSep oil return is designed to flow back to engine. Don't do that. Instead, run the drain line to a "crap can" stuffed with some scraps of bilge diapers.
    It looks like mine just run into the bilge? It's a steel tube about 1/8 dia?. also, would you know how much usually will come throug oil return line? Thanks I appreciate your time..

Lenz

It better not be running in the bilge. Maybe the engine drip basin - but not the bilge.

It would likely be OK if the line ran to a few diapers under the engine. Over the course of a season, I only accumulated maybe a pint of goo in my crap can. That said, it's easy and less messy to fabricate a crap can to contain the stuff. I used a quart plastic jug with some diaper fuzz in it. Cleaned it out 1x/year.

Confirm that there's a check valve in the drain line and it's properly oriented.

Quote Originally Posted by Passages View Post
    It better not be running in the bilge. Maybe the engine drip basin - but not the bilge.

It would likely be OK if the line ran to a few diapers under the engine. Over the course of a season, I only accumulated maybe a pint of goo in my crap can. That said, it's easy and less messy to fabricate a crap can to contain the stuff. I used a quart plastic jug with some diaper fuzz in it. Cleaned it out 1x/year.

Confirm that there's a check valve in the drain line and it's properly oriented.
    Thanks, And yes it drains into the engine drip basin not the bilge. Thanks for the direction!

Lenz

Its the season to get the new crap cans anyway. Small tins of gourmet popcorn ( about the size of a 2 lb coffee can work great. Punch a hole in the top for a hose barb and fill it up with shredded bilge diapers. Its metal so heat will not effect it and fire resistant too which is good considering the contents are wicked oil.

If you need the cans my sons cub scout pack will be selling them for the usual twice what they are worth. Good popcorn but pricey.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.