Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Being "manly"

Re: Being "manly"

Not when you are dealing with brass. The little nut is the first and the big one follows. You can not torque a 1 inch 14, 1/2 thick brass nut to torque without stripping it. Steel you can. But then most people don't know what a torque wrench is let alone the torque spec. for a 1 inch 14 nut. Pliers will work. Have at it. LOL
    Bill you know better, we have been down this road before. Shame on you. LOL

Bill
    Last edited by Trojan; 10-06-2007 at 09:49 PM.

The pics are the best part.

Yeah the pics are the best part check out the pic of the shrimper on it's side there's got to be at least one guy who wishs he forgot his camera that day.

Brian

Those are post Katrina pics from around Biloxi. ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 10-11-2007 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
    Not when you are dealing with brass. The little nut is the first and the big one follows. You can not torque a 1 inch 14, 1/2 thick brass nut to torque without stripping it. Steel you can. But then most people don't know what a torque wrench is let alone the torque spec. for a 1 inch 14 nut. Pliers will work. Have at it. LOL
    Bill you know better, we have been down this road before. Shame on you. LOL

Bill
    Think about what your saying, Bill (?) The biggy does the tightening and the skinny one is a safety. My Roamer has one castle nut. Look at the prop drawing in the book. ws

Look as those 2 beautifull tugs the one on the right looks like it might be a navy DPC I used to own one of them.

Brian

I think that was the ADMIRAL. Its on Creosote Road and I-10 just out side of Gulfport. Its got a Fairbanks-Morse in it. ws

The castle nut uses a cotter pin for safety. Torque is what holds and locks them all. With 14 threads per inch, you have less than 7 in the lock nut and in brass that's nothing considering the torque required.
    Locking is accomplished by minute distortion of the threads. Do as you like. I'm not getting into this pissing match again. Crank them any way you like. There is the right way and the wrong. There lots of boats out there with them on wrong and there still holding. Doesn't mean its correct. LOL.
    Great pictures. I like the one with the plywood sides. Is that an early Sea Ray? LOL

BILL

Nut confusion!

From a pragmatic standpoint, the duty of the nut is to tighten down and hold the prop, and the nut that does this is the one that is against the prop, correct? Therefore, wouldn't the big nut go first?

When you "torque" down the second nut, it is just putting pressure against the first nut....the little nut is called a "lock nut" for a reason, right?

Therefore, yachtsmanbill's nuts are correct, right?

10. Re: Being "manly"

The logic goes like this:

For a FLANGED nut (which is what Bill showed on that tug) the big nut is the one with the flange, therefore it goes first.

For a NON-FLANGED nut you put the little one on first. The reason is that you can't torque the little one like the big one (or you'll strip it) and the purpose of the two nuts is to lock them both.

So you put the little one on, then the big one and torque it. This both locks them and unloads the threads on the little nut; the little nut acts kinda like a washer and transmits the force and at the same time performs the locking function.

If you're going to use the big one first (or if the big one is flanged) you'd be wise to use some epoxy on the threads before you put the little one on behind it to insure it remains locked. Otherwise you may get a surprise......

Anyway this is an area where there is much disagreement... this is how I do it and always have.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker