Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Being "manly"

Re: Being "manly"

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    The yard lost money on this job! Hey... check out my nuts! ws
    There are those who would argue that your nuts are on backwards.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

At this point, all I can say is that this is how we put them on tugboats. The
    BIGGEST nut always goes on first. Thats about a 7" thread on the small boat we just sold. Probably about an 8-1/2" wrench. FWIW, the shipyard installed this one while we had them service the prop.
    Personally, I hope everyone puts the small one on first just to prove the industry wrong. Just to quote Gen McCauliff to the German Chief of staff --- NUTS!!! ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 10-11-2007 at 08:22 PM.

Crack me up! But, while your nuts may be ok, the boat is resting on cinder blocks? What's up with that? Ok. Maybe this is just a short haul. They won't fail.
    Regards
    Dan

AH SO ! Someone actually scrutinates my work...
    When I signed my winter contract I told them 10 jackstands; 5 per side at
    $20 each for the season. There is now 16 stands at no extra charge. They blocking guy added 2 sailboat (yuck! ) stands to steady the bow, and due to the "bow down" blocking (1/4" per foot) and the grade of the new ground around the property, he decided that the cockpit needed 4 more and the drop off in elevation required a pedestal. The keel at the transom is about 5-1/2 feet off the dirt.
    That pedestal is on 2 X 12s with a 1/2 steel plate under the cinder blocks with crossed blocked timbers on that with 2 stands on that. That old boy must have NUBIAN blood as in pyramid building. The FB is 20 + feet off the ground and the sub is rock steady. Shes ready for those Chicago himmicanes this winter !!
    Check out the gunn'l job on my neighbors 52 Trojan. Glad ya own a Hatteras??? ws

The original Hatteras owner's manual shows them with the big nut first and small nut second, even though I understand about using the big one first to torque it up, then removing it to use the small one first and then the big one to torque it again, which is what I do with mine.

Doug

6. Re: Being "manly"

Think of it this way... Big nut does the holding, small nut does the locking.
    ---/Neosin/--GulfCoastCruisers.us-----
    1972 Hatteras 44 TC "Blessed Luxury" (pic) Gone but still loved!

Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Tim. 2:15)

I couldnt agree more! What do you do with a pipe fitting that doesnt line up? Tighten it more or loosen it??? ws

Those blocks won't fail because they are sitting the proper direction with the cores vertical. I was in the concrete block manufacturing business for years and I still can't believe how many people stack them sideways.

One block can easily hold 100000lbs. Most have a compressive strength of over 4000psi if properly oriented.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

9. Re: Being "manly"

Just wondering how many pictures a year yachtsmanbill takes.... He has a pic of everything..........
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Thanks Sky... that really was a question Ive had for years. Theres always a rating for everything. I always try to keep things well within the safety factor, then if you mis caculate yer still good.
    After all the years of doing neat stuff and not having pics from a lot, then getting seriously into 35mm work and then digital, I like to document what I'm doing. As a kid, I worked for Hendrickson Mfg trucks, fire engines, tandem axles and specialty mobile equipment etc. as a draftsman
    ( ON PAPER! ) and had to document the projects from inception to delivery with pics with a set to the customers as well. We built a ton of stuff for the Alyeska Co. and most of the fire fighting rigs used our chassis'.
    I would venturea guess that I have 10,000 35 mm prints of my own stuff but scanning that much would burn up my new printer for sure. I hope you guys dont laugh or roll yer eyes when I supplement threds with pics. Plain text seems soo boring some times! ws