Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Removing Whitewash from walls and trim

How do you get the whitewash off? I understand it was an original option.

Noel
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

Re: Removing Whitewash from walls and trim

If you're referring to the white "pickled" finish that Hatteras used in the mid to late 80's, I believe it is over oak not teak. The white stain soaks well into the grain and will be pretty impossible to remove. On the solid trim pieces, you may be able to sand through it to get to virgin grain. On the veneered panels, I doubt it.

I have seen a 63' Motor Yacht that had the former pickled interior painted (by Hatteras) a pale gray. It looked great as the textured grain of the wood was still evident and created a nice effect. If you wish to go to a darker stained wood look, I think you'll have to re-veneer to accomplish that.

wonder what it would look like if i just stripped the trim then....
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    If you're referring to the white "pickled" finish that Hatteras used in the mid to late 80's, I believe it is over oak not teak. The white stain soaks well into the grain and will be pretty impossible to remove. On the solid trim pieces, you may be able to sand through it to get to virgin grain. On the veneered panels, I doubt it.

I have seen a 63' Motor Yacht that had the former pickled interior painted (by Hatteras) a pale gray. It looked great as the textured grain of the wood was still evident and created a nice effect. If you wish to go to a darker stained wood look, I think you'll have to re-veneer to accomplish that.
    Actually, I'm pretty sure it is Ash not Oak that was offered from the late 80's-mid 90's. I'm not sure if it was an option or standard. Ash has a deeper grain than Teak or Oak and is very durable. With the "white wash" finish, it was used to brighten the interior and make it feel more spacious... so I've been told by an interior designer.

I'm curious to see what you'll be able to do with it. Post some photo's
    Last edited by Capt.Erich; 09-20-2007 at 11:28 AM.

I have one panel that needs to be redone because of a PO's major leak which was fixed btw will attempt on that. As for the trim, sanding is the MO I guess. Whitewash is getting ratty. Plan on just using poly or bristol finish to keep it light.
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ

I had some oak furniture that was whitwash finish (I think it's called pickeling) anyway I gave it to a furniture stripper to remove he said that finish is almost impossible to remove completly. He did what he could but it was still in the grain.

Brian

I would think about veneering over it with a wood veneer and then stain and /or varnish as desired . You need to use a really good cement to veneer over that stuff and get it to stay. Probably less labor intensive and would yield a better result than trying to refinish what you have ,just IMHO....PAT

okay, then i need new trim LOL

Noel
    Noel Russell
    40' MY Aft Cabin
    Lincoln Harbor NJ