Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Electronics Question- Furuno FCV 582 Fishfinder

I checked with my local electronics guy an with Roger at Hatteras. Both appear to indicate that the problem is that with the vintage block I am using (1996) they did not have the technology to cure air going over the transducer--producing this result. Not sure this is right but replacing the transducer without doing the faring block would be a waste. I wonder whether the 582 has an in hull puck type mount that would work (not sure whether would work for the fishfinder function though?

Just checked with Furuno and sure enough they have a very inexpensive in hull transducer that will do the trick. I'll report back after I see if it really works.

Just a thought. Use the other transducer for the furuno. ALL transducers are made by the same company and the major difference is the plug on the end. A bit of soldering and you are going again.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

That's a good idea but I like having the backup. The cost of the new transducer is less than $100 so it's not a big deal at all. I'm just hoping it does the trick but it should.

As Scott said, all transducers are manufactured by AIRMAR. The only varible is the plug end. When you haul the boat next, plan on replacing the transducer and fairing block with a B60 transducer, http://www.airmartechnology.com/airm...runo&PageNo=67 . It is flush mounted with a builtin angle. It comes in either 20 dgree or 12 degree. Since it is flush mounted, you don't need to worry about the vintage of the fairing block. You might even gain a .5 knt depending on the size of your vintage fairing block.

Also, even fast cure 5200 recommends curing 24 hours before splashing, so a short haul is not recommended.

Mark

I don't think they are all like. Close but not a like. Cable length, impedance, power out, wattage and frequency all can enter into it. Just because they are made by only one or two different companies does not mean the specifications are the same. Changing in the water is not good unless the units are the insert type.

BILL

As noted above, in addition to the through hull I have, I also have a shoot through sending depth readings to a depthfinder. That shoot through is in front of the port engine and works perfectly. I need to install another shoot through, this one to feed the Furuno 582. Is it a fair assumption that if I mount the new shoot through on the starboard side in the identical location as on the port side (but this time in front of the starboard engine, ie. the mirror image) it should be a fine spot in the hull and work perfectly too. I am doing it as a one man installation and I really do not want to fiddle around looking for other installation spots.