Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

the dreaded washer dryer swap...

My old stackable died a few months ago (massive leak at the bottom) and I decided not to bother fixing the 15 or 20 year old rust pile. It came out without too many problems, the dryer in one piece and the washer disassembled... no big deal.

I have a Splendid all in one arriving any day now and i've been looking at ways to get it in the fwd stateroom.

it's 24 x 23 1/2 x 33 so it should go down the stairs, I have 24" at narrowest point with the hand rail attached.

problem is the fwd SR door... the frame as to come off. Obviously in typical Hatteras fashion, that frame is rock solid.. i see a few wood plugs so it seems that the frame is screwed into theedge of the bulkhead, with nails on the trim and of course glued. I hate to tear it apart as i know it will never be teh same again.

other option : build a cabinet on the aft deck behind the ladder with a counter top. feasible, lots of work, bring in 110v and water ... :-(

Best bet : I measured the forward hatch and the splendind could slide in there if i remove the teak trim/screen frame. looks easier to resinstal than the door frame. I also see plugs, so it seems that it's just a matter of drilling the plugs, pulling the screws. getting it on the foredeck might be tricky, I'll bring the boat to the nearby empty Tdock at low tide .

am I missing anything ?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: the dreaded washer dryer swap...

The fwd hatch is the easiest way to go. FWIW used the fwd hatch to drop in transmissions. I made a skirt to protect the frame trim etc, and used a boom truck to lower them in. The frame trim can be removed with a little effort and there is minimal or no re-install issues.

thks mike...

false alarm actually, the dimensions on the website where wrong... it's 21 1/2 by 23 1/2 so it shoudl fit thru the fwd SR door without even removing the door!

FWIW, I got it from an RV dealer in Tx www.pplmotorhome.com ordered on tuesday, delivered onto the dock today. $868 which was the cheapest i found for the vented splendid 2000S, plus freight ($120). WM has it at $1185, I don't think they're available in store so it's probably plus freight AND tax...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal,
    Did you get the weight on that. I replaced one in my dad's motor coach a while back and it was not light. They actually have concrete weights in them to help balance the drum. The good news is that they use about 1/3 the water of the stackable units.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Bad news is that 110v dryers leave something to be desired, from what I have gathered. Also, the Splendide units only hold about 1.8cf of clothes each load. They work fine, they just take a very long time to dry as opposed to the 220v dryers. I recently did some research on these units and ended up going with a newly released Whirlpool Compact stackable combo. Stainless bowls with a lexan/plastic housing which seems made for a salt-water environment! 110v washer that holds 3.5cu ft and a 220v dryer that holds 3.5cu ft as well. They are 23 3/8" x 23 3/8" x 33" so they fit nicely in the original closet. Paid $1100 for the pair from Lowe's. Not as compact as the Splendide, but nearly house capacity and performance in an extremely small package. Not too heavy either!

160 lbs or so... my son helped me to lift on board and then bring it down into the fwd SR. I still have to cut a door in the lower half of the panel for the washer door

i don't mind the small size, i'll just do small loads more often; it's a trade off for gaining a lot of storage where the dryer would be, that's a lot of space as the closet is very deep, and i like the convenience of not having to transfer the load to the dryer.

I've had these before, they're pretty common in europe. did a load last night, teh wash cycle is slower than the top loader, but dry time isn't that much longer, about 100min. my old 220v dryer took almost as long although for larger loads.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Wow, technology has moved along like you can't believe....my Hatteras has a plastic bucket to wash clothes in...and a clothesline that strings across the head up above the shower.
    Pascal, if you find you can't get the dryer working, I'll send you the make and model of the clotheline unit

Funny - when friends of ours were aboard our 53MY last summer, the wife said, "This boat has more bathrooms than our house - all you need is a washer and dryer!" I was almost embarrased to open the cabinet and show it to her.

Ironicly, our new boat doesn't have a wash/dry combo installed. I found a new unit at Brandsmart in Miami for a out the door price of $687.00

anyone know this new brand? the main drawback is that the dryer is ventless.

here's the link:
    http://www.brandsmart.com/ProductVie...10&pid=5913&f=
    Last edited by MarioG; 09-26-2007 at 05:25 PM.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Jim can I have that model number. The neighbors are complaining about the stuff on my outriggers.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.