Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Single Side Band Question

Just to show you how fussy antennas are. I installed an antenna that I made this summer for all bands so I could use it my ham radio. Its called a screwdriver antenna. It uses a screwdriver motor to run the antenna up and down adjusting it for the correct length frequency and SWR. After installation I started to check it out. I thought I had a great counterpoise or ground system. No matter how I adjusted the antenna the the SWR was bad. For grins I attached a 6 inch long wire from the antenna ground to the fly bridge railing. Instantly the antenna started adjusting and has worked ever since. So it goes to show it does not take much to screw thing up or fix it. Had I been transmitting on high power. I would have let all the smoke out of the transceiver. Get that meter. I have a yaesu cross needle bridge in my car that I gave $146. bucks for. Try calling AES in Orlando they can help 1-8003271917.

BILL

Bill - thanks. BY the way, what gauge wire should I use to connect the the coupler and the SSB to the RF ground and should it be stranded or not (or does it make a difference)?

One additional question--it appears that I need to key the mic before I press enter on this SEA 222 to get the asterisk indicating that the frequency is tuned. Is this normal? I see nothing about this in the 222 book. If I just enter the frequency and press enter, it appears to disable my ability to transmit.

I just listed this. I'll make a super deal to anyone here. Its a little dusty, but did not get wet! ws
    edog: Item number: 250173354865

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    I just listed this. I'll make a super deal to anyone here. Its a little dusty, but did not get wet! ws
    edog: Item number: 250173354865

For anyone here, I'll take the time to remove the cables and antenna/mount etc. ws

A 12 gauge solid wire is best, but a 10 GA stranded should work OK. The less movement in the wire is best for the tuner and transmitter. If the wire moves a lot the SWR could or will change. If it does then it could make the tuner hunt. For an example. The SWR in My mobile will change if I pass a truck. The change will be enough that the amp will auto turn off because of a high SWR and require a reset.
    I don't know your transceiver, But with most or with all, You will need to key-up the transmitter first on the frequency that you want to use or listen to. This applies to receiving or changing to other bands or major frequency changes. The coupler which is a antenna tuner must see a low SWR before it will let you transmit. Most auto tuners will detect a DC. voltage from your transceiver and auto move the tuner to a auto preset frequency. That's if it's been there before. The bands should auto change every time you shift bands. It requires a key-up to make it fine tune. During the tune-up the transceiver will fold the output of the transmitter to a wattage out that will not harm the output transistors in the transmitter. Every time you shift the bands or frequency the tuner should activate. If you key up a few (6)Kc away from the frequency you want to listen to, you will not disturb the stations at that frequency and your antenna will be in tune. If the antenna is way off frequency the tuner may still not tune or let you transmit or the receive signal may be weak. Sorry for the long thread. But I though it important.

BILL
    Last edited by Trojan; 10-08-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks Bill. I really appreciate the help.

If you key up a SSB transceiver and say nothing, no noise going into the mike there is NO output 0. You might keep that in mind. AM and FM you have full power the moment you key the mike. Yelling into a FM transceiver will not make you louder, It will only distort you by over deviating. So don't shout.
    BILL

Bill - thanks. I decided to re-splice the ends of the GTO 15 wire that goes from the antenna to the tuner. After doing so, my SSB sprung to life. WLO in Alabama was reading me perfectly and I was hearing them perfectly as well. I figure that was about 1500 miles or so. After having the SSB and Tuner repaired, playing with the antenna wire may have been all I needed. Just to be sure, I am going to replace the wire this weekend. I also was able to raise the net moderator on 14300 only to be told politely that my boat radio license call sign was a commercial one and not a ham one so I can only transmit emergencies on that net. All in all, I think I am now working fine but now I need to study and understand the propagation tables to make sure all is really well. Any leads on where to find those and how to read them?

Sorry- one last question--I understand that the connection from the lug on the tuner to the RF ground should be by copper foil but does the connection from the back of the SSB to the RF ground also have to be copper foil?