Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Single Side Band Question

At the end of last season, I upgraded my SSB and never tested it to make sure it was working. Now, I can't seem to find the frequencies necessary to get a radio check. Went out on Sunday and raised Group NY on VHF channel 16 and asked what frequencies the Coast Guard stations monitor. The fellow on the radio for Group NY never heard of SSB and did not know what stations were monitored. Does anyone know what channels or frequencies I can call to get a radio check. 2182 is no longer it. Does WLO still operate for marine telephone calls? It is not a big deal but I like everything to be working and I can't seem to get a radio check. I know how to tune to the time frequencies but I am trying to check my transmission capability. Thanks.

Re: Single Side Band Question

Can you tune into 6637? thats Miami Radio based in Miami Fl. They send and receive data and relay info to and from airliners. I'm not sure if they handle marine since they are mostly a aeronautical station.

6637 during late night or early mornings.

10033 during the day when the lower doesn't work due to atmosphere interfearance.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Another suggestion, that I have done before, is tune into 4045 (USB) at 6:30am and listen to Chris Parkers weather net. Many vessels hang around both before and afterward to make contact with each other. You can get radio checks this way. He does other frequencies and times. Check his website www.caribwx.com and select SSB Net in the sidebar for times and frequencies. Most cruisers are running the east coast or in the Bahamas that tune in to him. Any are happy to give radio checks. (no broadcast on Sundays)

Thank you.

Ok folks- it's really bothering me that I can't get this thing to work properly. I have tried all of the suggested frequencies to no avail. I only BARELY get the audible ticking on some of the time channels. Here are my questions, understanding that I am no SSB guru but I was the one who connected the one now in the boat. I am getting power and transmit function to the SSB. The antenna is new a few years ago. The copper strapping I am using as the ground plane on the bridge appears to be connected. Where do I start to troubleshoot and how? I need to figure our whether the problem is 1) the SEA 222, 2) the Tuner, 3) the strapping 4) the antenna 5) or simply propagation. Please understand that I will NEVER use this unit other than to tinker with. You help would be greatly appreciated.

The first thing you need to do is get or barrow an SWR bridge (aka meter) for HF. If you know a Ham He would most likely have one. A CB one will not work. You must check the swr first before anything. Most or all SSB rigs will fold back the power or turn it off if the swr goes high. My guess its high. Next You need to check the tuner to make sure the rig is tuning the antenna tuner to the correct frequency. You must have an HF antenna that will transmit on the frequency you want to load up on. Not a vhf antenna. If the swr is good, you should be showing power out. Your ground strapping may not be good enough or large enough for HF. You may need to experiment with different grounds and places where you are grounding. Finding a good counterpoise ground for Hf on a boat is seldom easy. Transmitting with a high SWR will torch the finales in the transmitter. You can listen all you want. Don't do any transmitting without a SWR bridge. New at AES they cost about $100 bucks. DO NOT KEY UP WITHOUT A BRIDGE. While tuning do it at low power and for short periods at a time. You will need to tune up using AM in order to show a signal to the tuner or SWR bridge. There is no output of a SSB until you say something. If you need more help e-mail me. I hope this helps. 1600 kc,14,300 HB, 17,200 kc. Be careful you don't get in the Ham bands.

BILL
    Last edited by Trojan; 09-21-2007 at 10:31 PM.

Trojan - thanks. Just sent you a pm.

I reinstalled the SSB and coupler this morning after getting it back from SEA and finding out that the mixer was bad in the SSB and there were diode problems in the coupler. I was able to get a radio check this morning from WLO in Alabama (I'm in New York), but they said it was a fairly week signal. That leads me to believe that I may still have issues with some or all of the follwoing and any further help would be appreciated. My 23' SSB antenna is new. The wire from the antenna to the coupler appears fine as do the connections. The large antenna wire from the coupler to the SSB appears fine. I am wonderring whether the wire from the coupler to the counterpoise may be an issue. I was using a regular 10 gauge wire and switche to some 3" wide copper foil. Could someone suggest the proper wire to use to connect the coupler to the counterpoise? Finally, I am using the lug under the bridge that Hatteras put in for the connection to the countepoise. There is a duplicate lug on the other side of the bridde. Perhaps I'll try that one. Since I now know that both the coupler and the SSB work perfectly, the enxt step is to trouble shoot the remianig conncections. Any further help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don't judge your signal strength by the report from the other guy. You have no idea what he is using for an antenna or his setup. If your SWR is good. Then there is a very good chance that your signal is getting out. One report means nothing. Band conditions play a big role in your signal strength and the distance you transmit. You can use a cheap signal strength meter and it will indicate the signal out. But not the power. You still need a watt meter and a SWR bridge meter to know what your transmitter and antenna are doing. Your counterpoise may be just fine, But again you won't know without a SWR bridge. You can not get around it. If your SWR is bad you will be repairing that radio transmitter again. MFJ makes a Bridge combo for $189.95. They also have an antenna analyzer for $287.95. That will check any antenna. You need something. The best thing is to barrow one from a ham or better yet, ask him to check it for you. You don't fill your car tires with air without a gauge. Without a meter you will never know. I will check anyone's antenna or transmitter in our Marinna that thinks they need it. To bad you don't dock near Toledo. I use a Bird watt meter, an industry standard at about 3 grand.
    I'm sorry It can't be any easier. It's just one of them there things you can't get around. BILL
    Last edited by Trojan; 10-07-2007 at 07:58 PM.