Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Possible new fuel source: SALT WATER! How sweet would that be?

I saw this article today:

ERIE, Pa. - An Erie cancer researcher has found a way to burn salt water, a novel invention that is being touted by one chemist as the "most remarkable" water science discovery in a century.

John Kanzius happened upon the discovery accidentally when he tried to desalinate seawater with a radio-frequency generator he developed to treat cancer. He discovered that as long as the salt water was exposed to the radio frequencies, it would burn.

The discovery has scientists excited by the prospect of using salt water, the most abundant resource on earth, as a fuel.

Rustum Roy, a Penn State University chemist, has held demonstrations at his State College lab to confirm his own observations.

The radio frequencies act to weaken the bonds between the elements that make up salt water, releasing the hydrogen, Roy said. Once ignited, the hydrogen will burn as long as it is exposed to the frequencies, he said.

The discovery is "the most remarkable in water science in 100 years," Roy said.

"This is the most abundant element in the world. It is everywhere," Roy said. "Seeing it burn gives me the chills."

Roy will meet this week with officials from the Department of Energy and the Department of Defense to try to obtain research funding.

The scientists want to find out whether the energy output from the burning hydrogen — which reached a heat of more than 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit — would be enough to power a car or other heavy machinery.

"We will get our ideas together and check this out and see where it leads," Roy said. "The potential is huge."

If this can be perfected, at last, we could cruise around the world in our Hatts without wondering where our next fuel stop would be.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

Re: Possible new fuel source: SALT WATER! How sweet would that be?

Bring it on!!!

I donno - remember cold fusion a few years back? This sounds somewhat similar. Actually, it's closer to the 6th grade science demonstration where you pass an electric current through water and it spits the hydrogen and oxygen gas into seperate columns. Unfortunately, it's a net negative energy equation.

Hey - I hope the research supports it - but until then I'll remain a skeptic.

lol this crap was passed around a year ago. How much energy does it take to make the microwaves?

Now if the power came from nuke plants you may make an argument.

5. Re: Possible new fuel source: SALT WATER! How sweet would that be?

I think the guy is using 200 watts of power to do that little trick. He is not boiling the water but is creating a debonding of the elements. Nobody has yet published the net energy gain, if any. So the school is still out.

Brown's gas is real however and there are commercial units available world wide now. The guy who was running a car on it and trying to commercialize it was killed, he had quite a following and some of the videos are still up on youtube. His system ran on car batteries and produced quite a lot of gas. Most of the other units (even commercial) are mere toys.

Be extremely cautious of any of these alternative energy deals. It has to proved by science and not a bunch of junk yard dogs promising free energy.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

i only have one question... how much power is needed to generate strong nough radio waves ?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

notice he wants government funding. sounds like another way to get uncle sam to part with some more pork project money

Once he builds it with government money he will look to capitalize on it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

9. Re: Possible new fuel source: SALT WATER! How sweet would that be?

I saw somewhere that he was using 200 watts.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

I heard that he had it pretty much perfected just before the black helicopters came and took him away.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau