Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Re: "Why I'll Never Own an Ocean" - the sequel - another short novel by Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    But your reply raises a question. Why do you believe that the keel makes the boat roll more while drifting? Bertrams are notorious rollers (RLDT, according to Thudddd) and they don't have any keel. My thinking would be that it has more to do with hull shape, but that a keel would either reduce rolling or have no significant effect. What's your take on it?
    I am sure some of it has to do with the enclosed bridge and the tower, not to mention the Gulf stream. But as she slides down the swell the boat is heavy and her undersides have lots of drag causing the boat to pivot. There are times when being a cork has its advantages. The ride will suffer a little but personally I would give up a couple hours of a bad ride for 6-8 hours of drifting comfort.

Do not get me wrong Hatteras builds a great boat with great componets. When we started looking at CCs I was surprised to see crap plastic handles and "finish" rings on $100K+ 26' boats. In the end, we bought the best ride but it cost us 10 MPH, he!! I am not sure we could ever go much over 56 mph anyway. It makes my eyes watter
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son

I thought it would have something to do with your particular situation i.e. the enclosed bridge. I can see where the keel would make it pivot when you're at a slight angle to the waves. Sounds like it can get uncomfortable, but hey, at least you don't have to spend a lot on chum!
    Quote Originally Posted by thoward View Post
    In the end, we bought the best ride but it cost us 10 MPH, he!! I am not sure we could ever go much over 56 mph anyway. It makes my eyes water
    See the thread on sunglasses.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I would think that the keel would dampen the rolling a bit. I would imagine the higher COG with an enclosed bridge and tower would be the biggest culprits.
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)

4. Re: "Why I'll Never Own an Ocean" - the sequel - another short novel by Bob

The keel will reduce the oscillations resulting from wave energy which causes the boat to roll, e.g. it has a dampening effect. The keel acts as a brake. A boat without a keel will continue to oscillate depending upon the location of the center of gravity. The type of hull shape also plays into this equation.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

It is not the oscillations that is the issue it is the initial roll down the wave and into the next(full beam). It has been bad enough to take them over the gunwale. I hate getting my feet wet while fishing.......
    1986 52 Convertible
    Island Son