Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Freezing CoreI

Freezing CoreI

I am selling 1970's Hatteras. The decks and all flat surfaces sounded good with a plastic hammer. The moisture meter indicated several spots with moisture content. Some areas are not near any screws or penetrations. The deal blew up because the buyer is concerned with the core freezing and splitting the skin. There are no soft spots or any other indication of moisture other than the meter readings. He got the same readings with 2 different meters. Any one had experience along these lines?

Re: Freezing CoreI

Pascoe has an extensive article on moisture meters:

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/moisture_meters.htm
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Re: Freezing Core

Metal objects, plates can cause high readings. The meter is just another tool. If it sounded good with the hammer, bust out the drill and prove / and or not prove if moisture is present. ( Caution - If you want to, just a suggestion of course)

He might be using that as a way to back out of the deal.

My 2 cent.

Captned

4. Re: Freezing CoreI

The mosture meter for a deck is no real indication of anything. Not much better on the hull bottom either.

Sounding of the deck core and testing for flex is the real way to tell. It is pretty evident if you have core rot and just about anyone experienced in older glass boats knows what it looks, sounds and feels like. If there are doubts, access the back side of the deck and look for the signs of mosture infiltration. Test holes can be drilled from the underside without causing cosmetic topside issues as well. Drill the holes, if water is there, you will know immediately. If there is water in there I doubt it will split the skin. Never did on mine...

A few things that may be going on (some previously mentioned)

Surveyor is trying REALLY hard to earn his money. They HAVE to find something, and some pride themselves in finding something no one else would (because it's really not there to begin with). Moisture meters are easily mis-used for this purpose.

The buyer is trying to get out for whatever his reason might be...buyer's remorse, financing trouble, found a nicer boat in the meantime.

The buyer is naive, and over-analyzing survey results. Afraid to make the big purchase if the surveyor finds anything at all wrong.
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

For the most part the moisture meter is junk. It doesn't read moisture at all. Its a capacitance density meter and could be reading any type of variance of density. So how the operator uses it, interprets it, will or can show all types of readings. It only indicates a change in the structure. Not the true moisture content. Two 3ft. Willow sticks will show the same amount of moisture. LOL Don't make any major decisions on a moister meter reading. Thumping will indicate changes the same or better.
    I have never seen a split in the glass from freezing. I have seen bulging but no tearing of the glass. I would think it is possible, But I don't think I have never seen it. It will delaminat and bulge before it will tear.

BILL
    Last edited by Trojan; 09-07-2007 at 07:28 AM.