Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Replacement A/C for 1972 38 C

I have purchased a 1972 38 C that was missing a gen set and most of the original Cruiseair a/c system. Operating out of Cozumel I need A/C!

I have purchased an 8kw Kohler which will be installed this week but have not yet chosen an a/c system. I expect to choose a remote system with the noisy part in the engine compartment at the stern. Crusieair is at the top of my list but I would welcome suggestions based on experience.

On the other hand I own a waterfront hotel and dive company in Cozumel and I'd be happy to trade a Cozumel dive/snorkel/fish vacation for a used system, or barter for new one.

Dave Dillehay
    Aldora Divers

Re: Replacement A/C for 1972 38 C

Based on what I have been told by people in the business, if you are buying new AC equipment, I would look at Marine Air Systems, not the kind you buy and install yourself, but the professional product sold by dealers. They have two product lines. The quality and warranty are better with the dealer line, from what I gather. They have good digital controls and excellent cabling arrangements. They also own CruiseAire but I think MAS are better. The dealer that told me this sells both product lines, they like installing MAS better than CA.

Thumbs up Re: Replacement A/C for 1972 38 C

cant help with the ac unit but thought i would say hi i have a 36c just bought and re powering to take to puerto adventours the inlet acrost from you at night i see the lights of cozmel is your boat there now ?? or are you taking it there i hoping to get there by christmas we dive often but not in cozmel give me details on your hotel next time iam there i have to stop by and have a cervasa i was there last week to check on the house after dean all was well good luck on the ac ill ask around here in florida

I have 2 cruise air units compressor only 1 220 7000 btu, 1 220 24,000 btu I will sell both for $200. Also I have a 1972 38C for sale Diesel,tower, engines run good boat needs cosmetics need to sell asking $44.000. Boat is in S florida. Gerry 954-478-3587

When you do buy, whether new or used, be sure your condensing units MATCH your air handlers - check the model numbers! Twice now, the wrong condensing unit has been installed in my boat. Fortunately, CruisAir is doing the right thing by offering to swap out and install the proper unit, despite their dealer's mistake.
    Ang
    1980 58MY "Sanctuary"
    www.sanctuarycharteryacht.com

I just replaced both orignial CA units (one 16k btu and one split evap 12k btu) in our 1965 41DCMY with new CA units. Both old and new are remote units like you indicate you wish to install. The old units were still working as good as ever, but never really cooled the boat well (in Florida). I installed two new 16ks. The new units cool the boat great and do so with less current. I did the installation myself and found the wiring to be no problem. In fact I used the orignial cables and only had to add one or two additional wires. I find the CA controls to be very flexible and easy to operate.

The old units used propeller fans on the evaporators. These fans can't move enought air to do the job well. The new units use squriel cage blowers and move much more air with less electric consumption - especially if you opt for the low current compact verson. The only difficulty is that the new squriel cage units are somewhat larger than the old fan type. I was able to fit the new units in the save locations, but it was allot of tedious work. The new compressor units are slightly smaller in size than the old ones so I was able to build a rack and stack them rather than place them side by side - freeing up some engine room space.

I already gave my old systems away already or I could make your day for shipping costs. Sorry.