Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Non Mechanical Maint.

I know basic maint. on my new cummins diesels...not the extreme stuff yet like I have had with a full rebuild of my gassers. One thing I'm thinking about is what I can do to keep them looking good..especially since they are new? What products do you guys use and what items do you pay attention to the most when it comes to things outside of mechanical maint. For instance....during the install one of the mechanics put a scratch on the heat exchanger of the stbd engine. I don't even know what paint is compatible with the supposed poor quality paint cummins uses. (I was told this...don't know it first hand) What do you do to minimize corrosion on the engines? Ect Ect...Never had this problem with the crusaders...they're blue, not white, and hide a lot when in service. I'm kinda nervous about white engines....they'' get dirtier quicker! I know....I'm being ridiculous!

Re: Non Mechanical Maint.

You will actually grow to love the white color as it will be easier to spot leaks and drips before they become a major problem.

One thing I do to help maintain the engine room is to use block heaters 24/7. I have the water immersion-type with a thermostat, but on boatdiesel.com, moderator Tony Athens has a way to wire pad-style that use much less wattage and need no thermostat.

Even here in San Diego, the engine rooms can get damp and cool if not cold and that's a recipe for corrosion. The block heaters keep everything warm and dry....

As stated above a dry engine room is the key to minimizing corrosion problems. My Cummins have block heater purchased from Tony Athens and they do a good job.You can get many thoughts on engine paint and many have their favorite. I tried several different touch up paints and have settled on Rustoleum "Appliance" paint in gloss white (Home Depot or Lowes). It is a hard paint and retains color very well. Another "must have" is a good corrosion inhibitor like CorrosionX. Use it on unpainted surfaces like linkage, bronze fittings etc. Good luck with your new engines. Bob

Okay...

So I need to get some corrosion X. (Who sells it?). The white appliance paint is okay to use with high temp applications ie engine block temps and on the exhaust manifolds?

I have a set of Tony Athens Wolverine block heaters. Have not installed them yet but will attempt to this weekend. I'm assuming I should try to wipe the oil pan down of any ersidue before I install them or the adhesive won't work?

Anything else. My engine bays are isolated from the main bilge but they aer still open to the bilge air. I assume they will still be subject to rust to the same extent as other installations so I want to try to keep them looking as good as possible.

Jackman, my Wolverine electric-pad style block heaters required I sand the paint off the oil pans where the heaters would be glued. It also required the engines be hot to properly 'activate & set' the adhesive. Your application may be different but double check your instructions - it's not a job you want to have to perform twice. Good luck!
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

Corrision X is sold in most marine stores (West, Boaters World etc). The White appliance paint is ok for high temp areas, it holds up as well as high temp engines paints I have tried. It will yellow on the really hot spots. Bob