Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
    Nonchalant1 Guest

Temp Gauges 53MY

Like MikeP996, my engine temp gauges don't agree with each other. I have been diligently watching by helm gauges and pulling back if temps get to 190, but I once went down to the engine rooms to check and when the helm gauge read 185 at 2000 RPM cruise speed, the port engine room gauge read almost 200 degrees! The engine room gauges are the original type aguge with a copper line running from the manifold to the gauge. The helm station has electrical gauges. What do others do for gauges?

captddis Guest

gauges

If the temp probe is in the same place on both engines they should read the same. There is a slight difference on the side opposite the pump. The engine should maintain 180 degrees at WOT, if not the system needs service. It is possible the stats are not opening at the same temp. There is one in each bank.

Genesis Guest

Electrical gauges...

... are notoriously inaccurate.

Mechanicals tend to work well.

Note that 200F is dangerously hot and can crack heads as well as damage the seals in the cooling system, particularly on a wet-liner boat (e.g. 6V92s)

195 is the maximum safe temperature EVER; you should have alarms in your cooling system that ring at 195F for this reason.

Find that problem and fix it!

Once you exceed 185F the thermostats are fully open and you have no more cooling system "range". At this point you're getting all the cooling you can get out of the system - anything beyond 185F can overheat extremely quickly, because there is no margin to add additional cooling capacity.

The thermostat range is roughly between 170-185F - in that range the engine has more cooling capacity available (by opening the thermostats further).

First thing to check if you're running hot is the impellers - second is the heat exchanger, and the third is the suction side for high vacuum - the latter is an EXTREMELY COMMON problem, usually found in the gear cooler.

PascalG Guest

temp gauges

I've procrasitinating on looking in to my stbd engine coolling system ...

at 1500 cruise, the stbd engine runs about 175 deg (vs 165 port)... closer to 180 in summer. the only time I tried WOT was during survey and we got close to 200 (summer time)... not sure if woudl have kept creeping up and we didnt' try to find out.

I know... bad idea to procrstinate with diesels, but since there is really no point in running naturals in a 53 above 1500/1600... I haven't worried and operating temp hasn't changed in 13 months/ 200 hrs.

gauges are accurate and checked with IR gun during survey.

pascal
    70 53my

BEC53 Guest

Replace Impellers

Pascal,

When I bought my 53 this summer, the first thing I did was to replace impellers. I didn't have any heat problems, but since I didn't know when they were changed last, I wanted to do it. One was really cracked and looked bad. You can get a Jabsco impeller puller from Boat/US, about $50. At least you will then know if you need to look further into your problem.