Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Securing Davit

Securing Davit

I'm wondering if there's a way to secure the davit from rotating without tying a line (or the lifting cable) to the deck. Is a substantial push-pin thru the base housing and into the main stem a reasonable possibility? Am hoping to keep the cable attached back on itself to the davit housing. Seem it would be cleaner looking this way.

Thanks for suggestions.
    Greg
    Kimidee
    '86 53' MY

Kimidee's for sale! http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986.../United-States

Re: Securing Davit

On our 53 I attached a 2 ft Piece of SS 1" tube from a convenient spot on the davit "arm" to a convenient spot on the SS tubing that surrounds the rear of the flybridge. The tube is attached on both ends with quick release pins. Normally I release the tube from the davit. Looks good, is very substiantial and releases in a second. I'll look to see if I have any pics but I don't think I do...

I use a small ss wire rope with a loop at both ends, about 2ft long. I connect it between the lifting hook and a small padeye secured to the top deck. It is very small gauge, maybe 1/16th maybe 12 gauge? It seems to work OK. I like the previous suggestion better, but my davit is too far from the upper railings (dinghy in the way) for such attachment.
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

Here's a pic that shows part of the strut connected to the davit. The other end is attached to the railing that curves around the rear part of the flybridge - just behind the access hatch. The dingy and Davit are behind that.

Sorry I don't have a pic of the whole area.
    Attached Images

Great info guys - thanks
    Greg
    Kimidee
    '86 53' MY

Kimidee's for sale! http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986.../United-States