Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Naiad Stabilizers vs ?

We are finalizing a purchase of a 53ED and are planning to install stabilizers. I have searched the site and found no recent comparison of the available manufactures and opinions. I dont find a lot on the manufacturers websites about the differences between Naiad, Westmar,TRAC. Quantum's smallest system is for 100+ boats.
    Any comments would be appreciated.

Re: Naiad Stabilizers vs ?

Naiad. Period.

My unit is over 12 years old and no problems

Great customer support

Great dealer network

Good resale value
    Mike Stailey
    1978 43 DC/FB

Naiad.

I put new Naiads on my 53MY in 2004. They're excellent. The new digital (no gyro) controls improve performance, particularly in following seas, etc. I used Craig Caulkins at Stabilized Marine in FL. He came to Illinois for 2 weeks over winter to do the work. I can't say enough good things about him. Naiad recommends him to people too.

Doug Shuman

They are on my 43 dc. They work great. Contrary to a lot of printed material they actualy increase the speeed when turned on.

OK. That was short and sweet. We are on the great lakes and when it kicks up you have to slow down. I'm thinking of going one size up on the fins instead of sizing just for normal cruise speed. I was told the cost is minimal. Ive never used stabilizers before and since this is a new installation (on an old boat) I would prefer to only do it once. Any thoughts

6. Re: Naiad Stabilizers vs ?

I can't see spending $15,000 on stabilizers to make me feel like i'm on land. Why not save your money and stay at the marina MUCH cheaper? Your on a boat. You like it, or you don't. Stabilizers will not change that fact! Your still going to rock like mad when hangin' on your hook which is where i'd want them to work like the new gyro systems anyway!

But... I also have a bow thruster and can't wait for the new gyro systems to come out which work all the time not just while on the move! WAIT for the new systems ... they will be a ton better and should be out in limited numbers here in the next year or so!!

Hey found a use for the bow thruster yesterday! That nasty little system came over us yesterday (clear lake, texas) and i was docking up RIGHT as it came in.. WOW 30mph winds and big ole fat rain (best forest voice) Click on the thruster to port, engines over and just walked over and put her in the spot like the wind wasn't even blowing Whew!! Glad i when up a size on it when we installed it!

Then i thought to myself... I only saw a few boats out and then remembered they was all was Hatteras! ...Amen Awesome sky we had right before the storm... I love that stuff!
    Last edited by neosin; 08-17-2007 at 03:24 AM. Reason: 30mph NOT 30kts
    ---/Neosin/--GulfCoastCruisers.us-----
    1972 Hatteras 44 TC "Blessed Luxury" (pic) Gone but still loved!

Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Tim. 2:15)

Bald Eagle - I agree with you about slowing here on the Lakes, as you know we have some difficult weather at times. Stay with the fin size Naiad recommends. Larger fins have a down side also - don't try to second guess the engineers. You will be very happy with the system they recommend. Larger fins have greater parasitic drag, stick out way past your chine when facing, etc. My .02 worth.
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan