Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mikep996 Guest

Garmin GPS-computer interface questions

I just finished installing a new Garmin 3010 at the lower helm station. I want to interface it with a laptop computer that I will take to the upper helm station when operating from there. I do not yet have a laptop because I have questions that I couldn't find answers to on the Garmin site. I've thought about either using a laptop or just having a stand-alone monitor on the flybridge.

1. Can I run the Garmin Mapsource program on the laptop at the same time it is receiving real data from the GPS Unit - in other words, will the laptop function as a second station in this case?

2. Can this interface be wireless or will it require the serial cable hookup?

3. If it can be wireless (preferred), how do I do that?

4. Is it possible to create a wireless connection between the GPS unit and a monitor (not a laptop, just a monitor) on the flybridge?

eze2bme Guest

Garmin GPS

I use a Garmin eMap and laptop. You will need a Garmin serial port cable from your Garmin unit to your laptop. You will need to install the Garmin software on your laptop. You then simply turn on the Garmin and your laptop, activating the Garmin software. The laptop will show the same information that shows on the Garmin's screen ... just bigger! Once the software comes up on your computer you just click on "Tracking" and your track is shown ... along with any other info from the Garmin.

If you don't want a laptop on your bridge then I would think that you could run a monitor cable from a laptop or PC at your nav station to your bridge and have a monitor only there. You would also need a 120v power source for the monitor.

I find that the Garmin is a great tool and you can store your travel "Tracks" for future reference if desired.

mikep996 Guest

Re: Garmin GPS

So any laptop with a serial port should work if I have the cable and load the Garmin Map software? I thought about a "real" computer instead but it would have to reside under the flybridge console which would probably make it's useful life measurable in weeks.

Nonchalant1 Guest

Re: Garmin GPS

I have a Garmin GPSMAP176C and a laptop with Mapsource. Mapsource supports serial and USB connections. You can connect to the laptop for GPS data, routes, waypoints, and MAPSOURCE maps. However, there appears to be no way to upload Garmin BlLUECHART maps from your GPS into Garmin's Mapsource software on your laptop.
    Garmin wants you to buy their "Garmin Marine Network" setup, which includes the 3010C, and buy another full GPS like the 3010C or the 3006C as your second station so they can all use Buechart data. You can download Mapsource maps onto data cards to put in your GPS, but Bluechart is their marine cartography mappping software. I'd never navigate by the mapsource maps (no depth countours, etc.) but Bluechart maps are great.
    My guess is that you'll have to get Bluechart software for your laptop to do what you want. Of course, there are lots of other laptop GPS software choices. I use 'The Captain" laptop software and my Garmin GPS for position data, because they have all the inland rivers charts and Garmin does not.

Doug Shuman

PascalG Guest

garmin gps / notebook

I'm using a notebook at the lower helm connected to the 2006C on the flybridge.

most notebook are not daylight viewable so i wouldn't use a notebook on the fbridge.

i run the mapsource softwared inlc on the blue chart CD. the notebook is connected using a chopped serial cable, from which I ran some shielded phone cable to the GPS.

works very well. I can download routes and waypoints to the computer, anddisplay live position, speed, heading and track. the only thing missing on the laptop is nav data (bearing, eta) to waypoints otherwise all the chart info is there.

i don't think it's feasible to upload chart data from the computer to the GPS, the serial interface would be too slow. better to get the chip burner (cheap anyway) and burn chips separately.

pascal
    70 53my

Maynard Rupp Guest

GPS interfacing

We use a Navman unit on the bridge with a NMEA 0183 cable,(3 wire serial cable), to a laptop at the lower helm. Works great. My son is a computer info guy and he says DO NOT try to use a regular desktop computer on a boat. Those hard drives are not designed to withstand shock loads. The laptop hard drives are built to take the abuse. Food for thought eh?

Nonchalant1 Guest

Re: GPS interfacing

You can download Mapsource data from the laptop to the RAM chip for the GPS. No problem, but has to be done in advance, not live as you go. You just can't upload Bluechart chip data from the GPS to the laptop.

NANPO 41 Guest

laptop

We have a laptop with the Captain Program from C-Map interfaced with a handheld gps (Garmin $149.00) and it works great. You can buy the data cable right from Garmin and it is a split cable that also gives you a 12v power cord for the GPS. Gives you seamless charts, live display, course and bearing to cursor and plotting capabilities. Daylight viewing can be tough but we put the laptop in a cabinet and that made it much better. Gives you complete redundancy for short $. I am personally not a big fan of interdependent electronics. Murphy's Law and all that.
    Fred

Genesis Guest

Older hard disks, true, newer ones, not a problem

The newer ones are rated for some pretty impressive "G" forces while operating.

Check the specs.

PascalG Guest

disks

remember when semi portable computers (suitcase - not briefcase- sized) required a park command to park disk heads before moving them around :-)

pascal