Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Fuel burn: 32' FB with Crusaders?

Sofarelli
    Sorry, but don't have a digital to post pictures. One of the Chris Craft guys repowered his 38 with the 8.1 Crusaders and it really flies with no loss of power through the entire rpm range even going up the back side of a wave. Not quite as good as a diesel but a lot better than the standard 454 Crusaders. His outlay through a "friend" in the marine business was about $12K per engine, so right in the same ball park. Due to the ethanol issue in the Great Lakes, and I'm differing stories about Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin re mandating ethanol in marinas, I'm being very conservtive and limiting my range to within the Michigan City, IN area, about 60+ miles one way. Praying the idiot politicians will see the light and exempt special use vehicles from ethanol but not holding my breath.

Captdds

Yeh, Moreland always makes fun and never fails to remind everyone that his 38 and my 32 were designed by the same individual (Avery). Funny thing, when we used to store in Benton Harbor, MI the trip up was almost always in 4'+ and I couldn't slow down enough to keep up with him and the other 38's.
    But on a flat sea, he blows me away. Not into speed anyway-20 kt cruise is where my priority lies. Dick is a long time (30+ years) friend and he has kept my Hat running all these years. He and his wife, Patti, are my best friends.
    A terrific couple!

Yes Dick is a great guy. You can tell him he is wrong though. Your boat was designed by Jim Wynne. The old 60s 31 was designed by Avery. Ever notice the similarities between the 31 Hatt and 31 Commander?

Captdds,
    What I should have said is that Avery designed the superstructure not the hull. Your are right, Wynne did the hull. The Hat 32 has a very close resemblence to what Chris called the 310 (I Think), We have one in the marina and the similarities are striking. Also pretty close to the 1976 Chris FB SF(originally sold new for $26K! then upped to $40K and nobody would buy.

If I were you, given the known problems with Ethenol gas and Hatteras fiberglass fuel tanks, I would stay away from a gas Hatteras.

By the way, I have an ad under the "Boats For Sale" section for my 1985 32' with new Yanmar engines. Diesel fuel is far cheaper than gas fuel at the pump and my Yanmars cruise at 24-25 knots at 1.25 miles per gallon; you won't get that on gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Piotrowski View Post
    Chris,
    I'm in slip 7059 Washington Park Marina surrounded by a bunch of 38' Chris Craft Commanders and one 32' Trojan. If you are in the area, stop on by and we'll gang up on the Chris Crafters.
    Ernie
    I will try to see you this weekend. I am across from B&E surrounded by Sea Rays.
    The water is really polluted here.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Piotrowski View Post
    Have had mine for 23 years. Current speed fuel burn as follows:

Sweet spot @ 3150-3200 rpm = 18-20kts @ 18 gal/hr each engine @ 7 psi vacumm/ 4-barrels kick in @ about 3275/3400 rpm

Top speed: 26 kts @ 4000 rpm @ 2 psi vacumm @ 26 gal/hr each engine.

Undoubtly time and junk aboard has taken its toll on weight and speed/efficiency. But, will cruise thru 3'+ on Lake Michigan without a wimper. Not the fastest kid on the block, but one of the most solid! Love mine except for the ethanol/fuel tank issue.
    These fuel burn numbers shock me. Our '86 36C Hat has the same engines and our fuel usage is about half of what you are showing. We get 1 mpg at 9 knots, .65mpg. at 3200 cruise and 19 to 20 mph. Full throttle is 4250rpm and .58 mpg. and 26.8 mph. So our 3200 rpm cruise burns 30.7 gph. Our rear barrells cut in at 1950rpm. You may not have the spring tension on your secondary chocke type plate set correctly. Our engines run perfectly. Those quadrajets can make you pull your hair out trying to get them right, but it can be done. That's why I am bald.

Thumbs up Re: Fuel burn: 32' FB with Crusaders?

[QUOTE=Karl;72542]If I were you, given the known problems with Ethenol gas and Hatteras fiberglass fuel tanks, I would stay away from a gas Hatteras.

The boat I am looking at was made with the ethanol resistant tank. This was confirmed with the HIN by Ron Lamb at Hatteras. I believe I am going to bite the bullet and stick with the Crusaders (low hour XL's) until I am ready for the diesel conversion. WOW! your boat cruises at 24 KT @ just over 19 GPH? Those Yanmars are great! Thanks to all for the very helpful responses.
    Last edited by sdstarnes; 08-17-2007 at 11:31 AM.

Call Ron one more time. I corresponded with him awhile back about an 84 32 express and he originally told me it had resistant tanks but then emailed a day later and told me that he made a mistake and NO 32 hatteras had ethanol resistant tanks. It really didn't matter because when I went to look at the boat it was a mess, so even if the tank had been replaced I would not have bought the boat at half the asking price. Too bad too because it is a nice model.