Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

AC compressor has the shakes

One of my air conditioner compressors does some wild shaking when first turned on. The lights dim and it draws a lot of current for about 5 seconds. It has a time delay circuit that delays turn-on for about 20 seconds. When that timer times out, the unit comes on and runs fine. I removed the timer and checked it and it works fine. I don't understand how the unit would shake before power is turned on. It has a solid state relay also that went bad last year and I replaced that. Any idea what would cause that? Ron

2. Re: AC compressor has the shakes

I'm just guessing here and assuming it's aCruisair unit. But I've been through 2 starter caps on two different units this summer. Could the starter cap be weak or on the way out?

Pretty easy to check. thx.

Re: AC compressor has the shakes

Thanks for the suggestion but the shaking happens before the power is applied to the compressor. After the time delay it starts right up and no shaking. It's a Lunare unit, company no longer in business.

Re: AC compressor has the shakes

Problem solved, I removed the time delay relay and no more shaking and high current draw. Compressor starts up and runs fine. Ron