Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Turbo Chargers TI vs TA

I've been looking at 53 and 54 MY's and see that the 53s were offered with 8v71TI's. The 54s have 6v92TA's. What is the maintenance difference between the TI and TA's?? What about service life? I understand most turbo engines are good for about 2000 hours before rebuilds are needed. Thanks.

Re: Turbo Chargers TI vs TA

Sorry ... 54's had 8v92TA's.

I can tell you that to replace a turbo on a TA is about 5 times as expensive as on a TI. I have both. Rebuilt my TI's at about 2,000 hours. Not there yet on my TA's. I am big fan of mechanical Detroits.

4. Re: Turbo Chargers TI vs TA

It also depends on the HP rating of each engine. The lower HP should live longer. Turbo replacement costs are dependent on type, i.e. water cooled are more expensive, but safer, I prefer the water cooled type. I also prefer the 92 series over the 71 series.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com

I am no mechanic but I used to own to 6v71 TAs and I hated the fact that cleaning the aftercooler was such a big deal. You have to remove the blower and some other things. I have to rely on mechanics to service my boat and there is and was in my experience a direct correlation between getting moderate to major service and some kind of show stopping engine problem after the service. If I could I would always try and sea trial after a moderate or major service so I could find the problem before I was on a trip. What I have taken too long to say is that I like the intercooled version better because it is much easier to service without getting into what I call a major service. BTW I used what I consider excellent mechanics it is just human nature that some of these mistakes happen.

6. Re: Turbo Chargers TI vs TA

I don't buy the human nature excuse, not at the rates charged to do the work. If you are paying professional rates you should receive professional quality work. If you did your work as shoddily as some in the marine industry how long would you have a job or a client? Answer: not long.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish

Correct me if I'm mistaken ... but are insulated blankets only required on TA's ... or on both TI and TA's? Thxs.

On TI's not TA's

I am not sure but I always thought that the TA designation meant turbo charged and aftercooled and that TI meant turbocharged and intercooled, Turbos can be wet or dry . The Detroit experts can probably set us straight on this one.......Pat

10. Re: Turbo Chargers TI vs TA

You are correct sir, the TA is aftercooled, meaning the air passes through a cooler that is between the blower and the engine, the TI is a cooler that sits between the turbo and the blower. The TA is supposed to be more efficient and provides cooler and more dense air to the combustion chamber than the TI, since the blower will super heat the air again before it gets into the engine.

There are two types of turbos, the 92 series predominately used turbos with water jackets to keep the engine room temps down, they are not as efficient as the dry ones, but are much safer.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish