Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Ideal Windlass Question

DocG,
    How do you know when you need new clutch plates? Do they wear down like brake linings? I looked at mine and they look okay but they slip very easily. Ron

THe friction lining can wear down to nothing, just like a brake lining. They can also get contaminated with lubricant if you are careless and will slip more easily, requiring a lot more hold down pressure (from the big nut) to avoid slippage. Contamination will also reduce the effective "range" of the clutch adjustment.

It's worth noting that the clutch is there for a good reason - to prevent damage. If there was no clutch, there's a possibility you could rip the windlass out of the boat if the anchor was badly fouled or damage the gears or the motor. So the clutch is there to protect everything - you can adjust the clutch action by using the big nut to whatever tension level you want it to be.

You can just remove the big nut and washer(s)and slide the rope capstan off the main shaft ,if the screws are hitting the chain gypsy on the pressure plate side you need a new clutch plate. Mine were so worn the heads of the screws were half gone . I ended up busting the plate away from the screws(wear a dust mask) and using a vise grip w/plenty of PB Blaster to get them out............................Pat

Did you ever understand why call them Ideal Windless. When you must work on them so much. Is this an oxymoron or what. LOL

BILL

Re: Ideal Windlass Question - help

My windlass has no big nut on top....or on the gearbox portion either. It has the chain gypsy, then clutch plate, then capstan and on top of the capstan there a single screw holding down a 1 inch or so washer that fits into the top of the capstan. when I unscrew the screw and pull out the washer I expected to see a nut in there ready to be tightened but instead there is just a threaded hole and the top of a cylindrical opject that may just be part of the capstan itself. I can't find the manual to my windlass either. At anchor now and hoping not to have to heave in all that chain by hand!
    The Traveler
    1969 53' Classic MY
    Scott Prosser

This is my IDEALL with a chain gypsy... Its missing any kind of cover for the clutch nut. Hope this helps! ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 09-07-2007 at 05:53 PM.

thanks! your picture actually helped alot because it made me realize that the top of the capstan might be removable...I ended up having no nut, but instead the tip top of my capstan acts as a giant nut and I've got it tightened up & working perfectly now! effortless anchoring...that's the way it should be!
    The Traveler
    1969 53' Classic MY
    Scott Prosser