Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Fuel Pump Drain Tube Leak...how long can I wait?

My port fuel pump, 671 N, 1979 DCMY has just developed a leak from the drain tube...about 1 drop every two minutes while engine running. We are currently doing the loop, working our way down Lake Michigan (currently in Charlevoix...beautiful spot). From an earlier thread it looks like I need to get a right hand rebuilt and swap it out. Question, is my diagnosis that I need a new pumb correct and can this wait for a convenient time around Chicago (convenient for marina and getting the part)? Am I tempting fate with possible fuel pump failure cruising in these "2-4's" we are coming to love here on lake Michigan. Thanks...as always!!

Re: Fuel Pump Drain Tube Leak...how long can I wait?

Thought I would close this hanging thread out.

I ordered a fuel pump from Western Branch Diesel...87.00 with old core turn in...not bad. I motored for 12 hours at 1500 RPM to get to where the part was delivered (Leland MI to Muskegon MI). Pump continued to leak worse, but I was able to catch everything in a catch jar. When I pulled the pump, you could tell it was "loose" especially compared with the new pump. I hope this was normal wear and tear and not related to the Ultra Low Sulfur Fuel we are starting to find in the system.

Total time to change out the pump was 1 1/2 hours which included an ops check.

Thanks for the views.

Currently lying Muskegon MI

Had you decided to push it the time remaining till failure would have been 28 minutes. Sounds like you made the right decision. How many hours did you get from the old pump?

The old pump could have been original...I have 500+ hours on the boat but the engine has 1700 on it. The old pump had the same paint as the original engine before I repainted three years ago. I would bet it was original so not bad for a 30+ year old pump! BTW, the starboard side also looks original and it is very tight. Keep my fingers crossed on it as we still have 4000 miles to go on the loop.

5. Re: Fuel Pump Drain Tube Leak...how long can I wait?

Yeah, when they start leaking they need to be changed right away. Those pumps have amazingly tight internal tolerances and when they're leaking that means they're destroying themselves inside.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

George,

Is that a 43 DCMY? Have you found this boat to be a good candidate for the Loop? We want to do the loop later in life and I often think of getting a 43 DCMY for the trip. Sorry to go off topic but am curious about the pros/cons you have on the boat for traveling the Loop. What MPG are you seeing from the 6-71N's at 8k and cruise? Safe travels....

Talking Re: Fuel Pump Drain Tube Leak...how long can I wait?

We think t is a great boat for the loop. As you know, she only draws 3 1/2 feet and we can get her to 16 1/2' (gotta take the bimini down!) This takes much worry out of the skinny waters in the Trent Severn Canel and gets you through the fixed bridge around Chicago at 17' Keel also extends down below her props which saved us prop scuffs three times in the NJ Intercoastal.

We are averaging 1.23 MPG running at 1500 RPM giving around 9 Knots. I would run it slower but my mechanic said 1500 was about as low as you wanted to go and still keep the engine loaded enough (50%). Maybe some other folks can chime in to vouch for my mechanic or tell me I gotta find another one!

Anyway, we certainly don't lack for space finding the accommodation very comfortable. The longest run one has to do between fuel stops is supposedly on the Mississippi...about 230 miles which is no problem with our 350 gal tank. Bottom line: we find it a perfect boat for the loop but if you ask all the other loopers they will swear they are in a perfect boat as well...but most are not in a Hatteras. Here is our blog if you are interested...pictures are nice, you might find the verbiage, well, verbose. http://waveaway.blogspot.com/

PM me off line and I will be glad to answer other questions you might have

Anyway, we certainly don't lack for space finding the accommodation very comfortable. The longest run one has to do between fuel stops is supposedly on the Mississippi...about 230 miles which is no problem with our 350 gal tank.

Having just made the trip from Mobile to Chicago, be advised... Get fuel at Alton,Il. then Hoppies (about 80 miles ) then Cape Girardeaux, Mo. another 80 or so miles. The trip from there to green turtle cove on the Cumberland river is a long one, about 130 miles. No problem, but the Ohio River current was running us at 20 MPH going down, so you can count on a 8 mph head current for about 50+ miles. There is no fuel in Paducah. Bypass it for the Cumberland river to the TennTom cutoff canal.
    On a side note, do you have any relatives in Sturgeon Bay Wi.? The Worleys up there were family friends. Lost touch 30 years ago.
    When coming through Chicago, I'll recommend the Cal-Sag channel route. The low bridge there was about 23 feet although its listed as 19-6. The 58 made it by 6" with the bimini UP and the arch DOWN. Look for the HATT TRICK just below the O'Brien L&D on the LDB. Feel free to lay along side as long as you need to. ws 630 388 8882
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 08-22-2007 at 09:34 PM.

Great pictures! We will look you up as we pass through. Appreciate the offer. And thanks for the advice on running the rivers. We plan on taking the CalSag route due to marina and timing concerns.

Ref the relatives in Wisconsin, no close ones...but we are all cousins at some point.

See ya on the river.

All the best.

GW... From the O'Brien L&D to about another 7 miles down there are a half a dozen marinas that have transient slips and fuel. The Sanitary and Ship canal through downtown Chicago has ZERO, except the expensive harbors on the lakefront.Do you have an ETA for here? I'll be gone on a tug job for a week or two, but if I can help out, please dont hesitate to call ! Bill Stephan