Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Galleymaid Head Blows Breaker

I am trying not to hijack the other thread and am of the opinion that if I start a new head, it may be a different problem--at least I hope so. My head started blowing the breaker. I would press the button for about 3 or 4 seconds and the head would pump then blow the breaker. I have not yet checked the wires to the pump to see if there is corrosion. Assuming there is not, and it is not a windings issue in the motor itself, is there any other possibility other than some sort of clog. No one to my knowledge has used the head from the time it last worked until the time it blew the breaker.

Re: Galleymaid Head Blows Breaker

Check the amp draw first at the panel, if is not excessive it may be the breaker. I have had three go bad in the last two years. If the amp draw is high I would assume some sort of clog or corrosion putting extra strain on the motor. If it is the windings I would think any kind of short in that area would would cause the breaker to open immediately or the pump not to start at all.

Chris - thanks. Had not thought about the breaker but they are probably the same ones from 1981.

How's the battery condition? Low voltage will cause high amps and blow the breaker as well.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Tip top. Just refilled all batteries and the charger is on and working well. Found the tell tale signs of potential female involvement-- tissues in the waste basket in the head. Sure hope I am wrong but it is not looking good.

Worked the Y valve a little and problem gone. Must have been some growth or a small clog there.