Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Re: Question re Shore Power

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    A smart Y has a box attached that insures that you are plugged into opposite phases. Each 30a socket must be on the opposing phase so that you can get 240v when you hook to them.

DING DING DING>..... Bob tellem' what he's won....

A NEW CAR! A 1977 Mustang II!!!
    ---/Neosin/--GulfCoastCruisers.us-----
    1972 Hatteras 44 TC "Blessed Luxury" (pic) Gone but still loved!

Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Tim. 2:15)

Re: Question re Shore Power

Quote Originally Posted by neosin View Post
    A NEW CAR! A 1977 Mustang II!!!
    A pinto is more fitting...or a chevette, u know it's ALMOST a corvette.

I'll take the Mustang, Thanks
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Just a clarification. If you encounter a marina that is wired with 120/208 volt power, as many are these days, using a "Smart Y" adapter plugged into two 120volt/30 amp outlets will provide 208 volts, not 240. As has been discussed, the 208 is a phasing problem, not low voltage. The only solution is some sort of boost transformer.

Pete

Anyone have any specifics on a "Boost Transformer" that I can plug into the pedestal? What .... from Where ..... how much??

ByronS

Ward Marine in Fort Lauderdale offers a portable boost autotransformer packaged in a plastic box that you attach to shore power and then plugs into your boat. It provides about an 10% boost so 208 becomes 229. Your boat will be extremely happy with 229 volts. Round numbers, cost = $1,000.

Please note that this autotransformer and the rewire of the Hatteras isolation transformer will solve the problem of 208 volts, with a properly wired marina. If you experience shore power voltage that varies significantly depending on the load, such as 240 when no one is around but 205 or 210 on the hot weekends, that is a different problem not solved with these solutions. A drop of up to 5 or 6 volts due to load is to be expected in a well wired marina and is not a problem with these solutions. Bottom line is you want at least 220 volts, at all times, available to your boat equiptment.

Pete

You can make your own portable buc boost the tramsformer is around $300 then a box and conectors. Charles marine has a Smart Boost that you can leave on all the time if the voltage goes below 215 it boosts if under 215 it doesn't. Most transformers in our boats can be fitted with a selctor switch for boost or no boost it just involes a rotary switch and some wiring (best Solution) I just went thru this with our boat.

Brian

Pete knows his stuff, listen to him

Also, if you have a voltage drop during peak demand at your marina and then voltage goes up when nobody is around, do'nt worry too much about going a little high. The nominal voltage for most stuff is actually 240. I know 240 is what is feeding my house right now.

High voltage (10-20%) won't hurt induction motors, they'll actually run cooler....of course this is assuming the lacquer and insulation in the motor isn't broken down. Most electronics have their own power supplies that clean up crappy power for them.

I have a single 50 Amp service on my boat but the marina has two (2) 30 amp service on my slip. I thought that by using a Y I would be okay, but we keep popping the one circuit breaker on the dock because of drawing too much amperage. If we go over 30 amps it pops, is there any device I could get that will assure 50 amps of power from these two (2) circuits.

10. Re: Question re Shore Power

No.

You can get voltage boosters, but not amperage boosters. You should be able to look at which 110 leg is pulling the higher amperage. If this is happening in your permanent slip, then the only way you can overcome this problem would be to move some of the load to the lower amperage AC leg. This is not something necessarily easy to do, unless you are well versed in electrical. If you cannot move to where you can get higher amp service, then this may be your only choice. Hatteras tends to overload one leg, since a lot of marinas only have 110 service (30 amp). If it were me I would look a things I can plug in on the lower amp leg and reduce the load on the primary leg without having to rewire anything. Battery chargers are a big power draw and should be easy to plug in somewhere else. I would start there and see if it helps solve the problem.
    Chris
    1973 48' Yachtfish
    "Boss Lady" my other expensive girlfriend.
    Follow the refurb at www.starcarpentry.com