Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Question re Shore Power

If you use a y adapter on 30 a ,110v and combine them to 220v,doesn't that just give you 30a 220v?? 60 amps of 110v =30 A of 220V ,NO?...Pat

1 50a 240v = 50a@240

30a 120 + 30a 120 = 30a 240

in the Y configuation, the current comes "out" one of the 120v outlets and goes back "in" the other. All the while, the current through each outlet cannot exceed 30a. (this assumes each outlet is on opposite phases)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Phipps View Post
    This is an appropriate concern given the usual low voltage at many marinas...you'll want to make sure you have adequate voltage or you'll end up damaging airconditioners, refrigerators, and ice makers over time. One 50 amp 125/250 volt shorepower cord (4 pin connector) should normally carry all the power you'll need, provided you have a 240 volt supply....

I believe 240V-50A cords are all 3 pin cords, not 4 pin. The cord has 4 wires, but one is ground and that is carried by the metal shell, not a pin.

Doug

Old style is 3 wire, new style is 4 wire. The extra wire that is not used most of the time makes it better. Its a safety ground.

BILL

120-240/50 uses 3 pins (H H N) and a ground collar

that's what i use on my early 53, it works fine 99% of the time.

the only time it's not enough is when i need to run the freedom 30 inverter charger and all 4 ACs and all the lights, etc... it trips the dock breaker. but for the stuff the boat came with, it's enough. just.

so, when we need to run all ACs in summertime, I just reduce the charge rate on the inverter...

my boat, like most hatts, also has a pair of 30amp inlets, selected with a rotary, although the rotary doens't look original. I know the later MYs have their rotaries on the panel by the helm and more options, including selecting port and starboard side inlets, I think. Mine doens't ... i you open the covers while the other side is connected... dont' stick your fingers in there.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat