Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Galley Countertops

I was looking to put 1/2 inch Corian over my existing countertops.Does anyone know where i can get sheets,30 x 144,in the Ft. Myers area? Thanks Chris

Re: Galley Countertops

They don't sell "Corian" or any of the similar products to the public. You have to be a certified,(by them), installer to buy the stuff and its glue. I had a friend who could get it for me, but I think buying illegal drugs might have been easier. The sheets are 1/2" and the stuff is easy to cut, sand etc.

Maynard is correct . You have to be certified to buy the stuff. As a contractor I cannot buy it direct from the supplier either. However if you know someone in the cabinet business you may be able to buy it from them. I have done that in the past. It is very easy to work with. It cuts,sands and routs very easily, you just need a good respirator and safety glasses. Good luck. bruce

We are both an AFI (authorized fabricator and installer) and AMI (authorized manufacturer and installer)for dupont. This also means you get a ten year warranty on the stuff (Corion) when installed correctly.

That means we can buy Corion and Zodiac in whatever sizes they come in. PM me with your needs and we will fix you right up. Located in Sarasota, you will need a pickup truck and it is better situated vertical for shipping. So it would be better to cut the 144" down to two sizes around 8' pickup trunk bed length if possible.

garyd
    Have Fun Boating

Quote Originally Posted by garyd View Post
    We are both an AFI (authorized fabricator and installer) and AMI (authorized manufacturer and installer)for dupont. This also means you get a ten year warranty on the stuff (Corion) when installed correctly.

That means we can buy Corion and Zodiac in whatever sizes they come in. PM me with your needs and we will fix you right up. Located in Sarasota, you will need a pickup truck and it is better situated vertical for shipping. So it would be better to cut the 144" down to two sizes around 8' pickup trunk bed length if possible.

garyd
    Hey Garyd How do you cut that stuff?

Brian

Brian, you can cut and shape the corian with your standard woodworking tools. As I said before, it routs,cuts,shapes and sands like any other non-metal material. The key is the sharpness of your cutters. Bruce

Carbide tip circular saw blae etc etc. If ya want to I have an extra CD ya get from Dupont. If your going to do a bunch of work using corion it is good to watch.

There are some tricks that keep it from breaking while your fabricating and once it is installed. If ya don't do them "CRACK". And since you didn't do it correctly no warranty.

I still need to get by your place. I've got your number I am full up for a couple of weeks but after that can get by. If ya need the CD before that you can stop by.

garyd
    Have Fun Boating

No certainly not an emergency. I had no idea that you could work that stuff yourself. So when you shape it radius it etc. do you have to polish the machined area?

Brian

Smile Re: Galley Countertops

There are a number of generic Solid Surface Acrylic products on the market. I cant tell the difference between the generic products and the brand names. Look on the internet for "acrylic solid surface". I fabricate my own countertops for houses I renovate and build. If you cant find a source my email is bdewar@dewarappraisal.com. The material can't be put under stress it has properties similar to glass, i.e. when it cracks the crack runs across the material.

Brian, there are some tricks to the trade. However as awesome of a fabricator that you are, you will not have any trouble. Grab the CD experiment with a scrap piece and your ready to go.

You can even heat up and shape it. Use standard routers High quality and high power or you will just burn them out. Along with high quality bits. Don't over sand it but even if ya do you can fix your mistakes.

I might trade you say I do your galley counter top and sink and you do my Radar arch, we'll powdercoat it. Let's talk lol

bdewar, Dupont Corion is made in the U.S.A. comes with a ten year warranty and as long as you buy it correctly is either the same as the imports or just slighly more.

I always try to buy U.S.A. as all my customers live and work in the U.S.A. I do not have a single korean or chinese customer. Yep ya can buy solid surfaces that are made in another country just make sure you don't care if your kids and grandkids have jobs cause as soon as we manufacture nothing in this country then.. what did Don Manard sing. "Turn out the lights the parties over" LOL

garyd
    Have Fun Boating