Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Mitsubishi stabilizer

Anyone have that link for the new'ish Mitsubishi (i think) stabilizer that doesn't use fins?
    ---/Neosin/--GulfCoastCruisers.us-----
    1972 Hatteras 44 TC "Blessed Luxury" (pic) Gone but still loved!

Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Tim. 2:15)

Re: Mitsubishi stabilizer

is it a big moving weight?

uses a big gyro that spins very fast using a lot of electricity... very expensive.

great idea though, since it works on the hook.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

4. Re: Mitsubishi stabilizer

dang no one has the link? i searched for an hour looking for it, wanted to show a buddy who wants to do something like it...
    ---/Neosin/--GulfCoastCruisers.us-----
    1972 Hatteras 44 TC "Blessed Luxury" (pic) Gone but still loved!

Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Tim. 2:15)

I see that the small unit weighs 136kg. Thats about what 1 fin will weigh, not counting the shaft and all the motors or pumps. It would be nice if it really worked: all internal, no through hull penetration, no drag, effective at 0kts. No reason it couldn't be put into a sealed box with only terminals exposed. I suspect that the current needed to maintain RPM will vary with load thus bad weather will use more juice. They could be designed low in the hull as ballast, that would help stability even if they were not spun up.

As for the power demands, they may not be too much for a modern "all-electric" boat to handle. Except for propulsion and cooking we have had the electric boat for some time now. I can see this technology and the OSSA powerhead for propulsion revolutionising things over the next 20 years. Digital microelectronics have ruled the pilothouse for sometime now without the disasters the old salts warned us about not so long ago.

Price/performance/reliability are darned good and will only get better, just like it did in computers and TVs. The same thing will happen in this business, only slower due to smaller size of market, but it will happen eventually. It's inside the hull where the big changes will be happening: more living space, less machinery space, quieter machinery, diesels located away from people. It will be fun to watch the designers work through the new options these technologies will make available. The next 30 years will be interesting ones....

can you turn the clock back a bit? I'll be 67 in 30 years...
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

And I'll be 84.......

go to the (Gasp!) Bertram website. They have a review of the new 67C with those stabilizers. The site has a link directly to the manufacturer