Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stabilizers

Stabilizers

Having never owned nor operated a boat with stabilizers. How do they work? Are they worth the investment and what are the maintenance issues of keeping them in shape?

Thanks,
    Cef
    Michigan

Re: Stabilizers

greatest invention since the rudder !

The Niads are on my 43 DC. There is a gyro that spins at 20,000 rpm & sends hydraulic pressure to rotate the fins countering roll. It is like magic. When off the boat rolls quite a bit in quartering and beam seas. On it is a flat ride.. According to the manual very little maintanence required.

They are FANTASTIC!!!

Very little maintenance and very efective especially at higher speeds but even at 9 kts they reduce the roll considerably. They do reduce speed slightly and may increase fuel burn a little but some of that is balanced out because better stability makes for better tracking in snoty weather. And for sure everyone's a lot more comfortable.

Brian

they are for old farts hahahah, jk

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    No they are for motor yachts and others seeking to cruise in comfort. Just because they come out with a newfangled invention doesn't mean its for the weak. TP for example replaced the old Sears catalog and I bet you use it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I think they are more useful for the motor yacht than the sports fish because the former has a higher center of gravity and probably cruises a bit slower. We have them on our series I 48MY and really like them when being overtaken on the ICW. They are quite effective even at 8 knots where we cruise.

Niads do require preventative maintenance. The fins need to come down about every three years so the seals can be replaced. I'm told a seal leak becomes a very expensive problem.

Bob

Sure they work. But hold on to your wallet. They cost as much as the boat to purchase and install. Unless they come with the boat. I will live with a little roll. After all it is a boat.

BILL

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    This explains your wacky posts you've been rolling around so much your brain cells are all mixed up. Get some stabilizers right away so you can start thinking clearly.

Brian