Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: window cualking

window cualking

I am installing new glass to my newly powder coated window frames. Question on the fixed ones. Do you need the butyl tape or will the 3M 101 work in its place , and the neopreme tape Sams sent me doesnt seem to have a sticky side , does the tape just go in loose and the pressure of the glass holds it in place or do you use some type of adhesive to hold it to the frame ? thanks for any input

Re: window cualking

Correction, I got the paper of of the tape and it is sticking just fine but still not sure on the butyl tape.

I did this on my 43. At the advice of a guy named Jimmy who worked at Slane and was well versed on these windows, he said to go with life caulk which I did. Easy to work with and no leaks.

Re: window caulking

I find Life caulk yellows in the sun. I don't use it unless I plan to paint.

BILL

What would be the best caulking to use to attach the frames to the boat.?

6. Re: window cualking

Quote Originally Posted by seacolt View Post
    I am installing new glass to my newly powder coated window frames. Question on the fixed ones. Do you need the butyl tape or will the 3M 101 work in its place , and the neopreme tape Sams sent me doesnt seem to have a sticky side , does the tape just go in loose and the pressure of the glass holds it in place or do you use some type of adhesive to hold it to the frame ? thanks for any input

The butyl tape is great to use as it will hold the glass in place and creates a solid perimeter of adhesion. I only use Life caulk for the window caulking. It maintains it color and playability extremely well. ( that's why it is used on teak decks )

FWIW, Life Caulk comes in black which is what I used, thus no color fading.

Local installers of our windows have recommended using 3M's 4200 to install frames to the boat. It has 25% less permanency than 5200 and yellows less over time.
    The butyl rope, when installed properly, will make a 100% seal between the frame and glass lite. If there is any concern about curvature in the bulkhead, especially the forward windows, then use the keeper wedge/shim available at Sams. It is very inexpensive and ensures the lite wont pull away from the frame.

we installed glass with butyl, then used a caulking before putting in the glazing wedge. Use automotive windshield adhesive for the caulking.

everything must be very clean. use laquer thinner to clean the frame and glass, wear rubber gloves, clean several times. lay the butyl in the frame and lay the glass in then stand on the glass, my dad an i were walking around the edge of the glass at the same time so you will not break it.

forgot first thing to do is mask off the area on the glass that will be covered by the frame and the glazing wedge and then rough up the glass , makes a better bond. do this after initial cleaning and then clean the glass again.

after you set it in the butyl then use the polyurithane windshield adhesive and fill the gap and allow it to overlap the glass then install the glazing wedge.

I know of a member who installed the glass with only the windshield adhesive.

you may want to rough up the bonding surface on the frame with 3m pad but again clean it first then rough it up then clean again.

I also walk and bounce on the tempered glass to seat it in the butyl. Do not do this with laminated glass. It will break.