Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1960's hulls

1960's hulls

Anyone know if the hulls in early 60's were solid glass or not. Wandering obout puck type transducers that are glued inside the hull.Will they work? Who has the best unit (combo) for 1500 -2000$

Re: 1960's hulls

We have a '65 34' Sedan. the hull is about 1 1/2" thick. The Garmin techs did not recommend we use a "shoot through" transducer. We used the long shank 50/200 transducer. works great.

I love my Garmin 3210 gps/plotter/sounder with XM weather and radio. prices are coming down and can be had for around $2000 or so.
    Last edited by MarioG; 07-12-2007 at 09:20 PM.
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    Anyone know if the hulls in early 60's were solid glass or not. Wandering obout puck type transducers that are glued inside the hull.Will they work? Who has the best unit (combo) for 1500 -2000$
    They are all solid below the waterline, and quite thick in the 60's.

How well xducers will shoot through the hull will of course depend on the 'ducer and how much power it's pushing, but I'd drill the hole.

If you don't want to to that, I'd use the "oil bath" method of mounting a pipe on the hull and then suspending the 'ducer in a mineral oil bath to shoot through.
    Ed G.
    Misty
    '68 41C
    Sanctuary
    '80 58 Motoryacht
    100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    http://www.boat-heaters.com

I have a 41 DC cruiser, and got a Garmin with an additional through hull fitting, it works great. The fiberglass is 1.5" solid, so you will need to drill from both ends..
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration