Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fiamm Air Horns Needed

Anyone have an old set of the Fiamm air horns? I sent mine out to be rechromed and they came back missing the spring that goes behind the diaphram. I would normally complain to the chrome shop but they did it for free as a favor to my sister....... You get what you pay for I guess.......

They do look very nice, just don't beep :-) Thanks

Rick
    1973 38 FBDC
    rswirtz@hotmail.com

2. Re: Fiamm Air Horns Needed

Just replace them with a decent air horn system. You will be much happier.

Go to "Search" and type in air horns and it will bring up a couple of threads I have.

I LOVE my new system, was not expensive (you just have to be patient when dealing on ebay) and only took me 2 hrs to install the entire system.

OH, and it is L O U D !
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Re: Fiamm Air Horns Needed

Thanks Charlie, I have my search agent setup on ebay. BTW, talked to Mike at Sam's, they have Fiamm horns at about $250 but no parts for them.

Rick
    1973 38 FBDC
    rswirtz@hotmail.com

4. Re: Fiamm Air Horns Needed

This is the system I ended up with...

Re: Air Horns... again

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After playing on Ebay for over a week I finally got a air horn system coming. I ended up with "Kong MK II" from Siege Engineering.

It's a complete system, 200 psi compressor, 3 gal tank, 1/2" ID tubing and all the wiring. Horn is rated at 152 DB at 150 psi. Most systems ended bidding at about $240-$300 and I somehow managed to get mine for $ 155.

Will be here next week so look forward to getting it installed and testing it.

Looks like I will just put the triple horns up front where the existing little ones are as there is no easy way to run the tubing up to the hardtop.

Ended up mounting the horns on the starboard side of the boat, next to the navagation light, not where the existing ones were.....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Can't you just just match up the spring a place like McMaster Carr has lots of diffrent springs?

Brian

That would be great if I knew IF there is a missing spring and if there is, what it looks like. I have been trying to call Paul, maybe he has one laying in his shop from bosslady he could check out. Thanks though, I'll keep those guys in mind.

Rick
    1973 38 FBDC
    rswirtz@hotmail.com

I think I might still have my old ones.....email me at psdtoddmxz at yahoo dot com if you want me to look for them for you...
    Todd
    "Yachtzee"
    1976 36C Hatteras
    Catawba Island, OH

Are you sure there was a spring in there. Mine just have a copper diaphram and no spring. Just rotate the trumpet in or out to get desired pitch. the only moving "vibrating" part is the copper diaphram.

garyd.
    Have Fun Boating

Thanks Garyd, The saga continues, maybe I just have too much chrome in the wrong places. Tine for the dremel tool. Thanks again all.

Rick
    1973 38 FBDC
    rswirtz@hotmail.com

10. Re: Fiamm Air Horns Needed

There was no spring behind the diaphrams in my horns, only the thin copper diaphram, which was torn through. I used a piece of plastic packaging material that was about the same thickness and cut it out the same size and the horn blats just fine... You must turn the trumpet in and out to find the sweet spot where it all vibrates and then tune it to the right tone. Hard to do alone as you need a horn button pusher and a trumpet tuner.

If you are going to replace the newly chromed fiamms, let me know as I'll take them...