Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

onboard satellite tv service

hi all,

looking to put a satellite tv service on board for the next 2 months (our northeast season) and do not have it at home. i don't need any tracking ability as i would only use it at the dock. they all (directtv/dish) seem to have all sorts of programs, but none even hint at a seasonal option. i'm looking for help on what equipment to purchase and the best way to accomplish this from others who have crossed this bridge.

thanks

jim
    Jim

SALTY
    1973 38' AFT CABIN

Re: onboard satellite tv service

Jim, I installed Satellite tv on my boat last year and Directv offered a seasonal policy that allowed for suspension of the account for,I believe , up to 270 days. I keep my service on for about six months out of the year . I also suffer from the shorter northeast boating season, but we try to stetch it out as long as possible ie;April thru October at least. All you really need is an antenna , a receiver and some coax. PM me if you would like more info. Good luck, Bruce PS; I found the people at Directv very helpful. Just explain your situation and I think they will help.

switch to satellite at home and then just take your receiver or access card to the boat!

Switching to satellite at home is all well and good if you have just one or two tv's but it can get expensive for multiple locations . For at the dock only sat service you should be able to get a package deal from Directv for only a couple hundred bucks or less. A standard non HD receiver can be had from Directv for 50 bucks then all you need is a dish to mount on a piling and some RG6 cable wire. Bruce