Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Not zapped

Not zapped

In the course of doing some mid-job trouble shooting on the head install, we found several 110AC and a few 32 vdc breakers that are bad. Some are holding closed although open (welded contacts) and some are open while showing "on" with the knob.
    Are these breakers that prone to failure? One I can see, but several means something else to me. I know that new ones are killer expensive, but I seem to remember someone here parting out a service panel. Are you still around???
    Also, are the 110 and 32s the same size (dimensionally)? Since the buss bar needs to come off to change them out, Id like to have a few to change out all the offenders while we're in there. Ideas ? Pointers ?? ws

2. Re: Not zapped

I've never had trouble with these breakers. They're expensive but IHMO very well built. Something odd with your boat if you've got several of these that have gone bad.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: Not zapped

I dunno Karl... the VOM doesnt lie !! The SPO mustve thought he was a whiz kid. Some of the stuff was lifted and replaced on the hot side etc. Theres a leg to the salon and the galley thats hot all the time. I hafta shut off the main to disconnect that one. I'm sure we'll get it straightened out, but with a 35 year old system bugs are bound to appear...
    This boat shows more PO neglect as we move along. No problem, but ya need to double check and back track a lot more than youd think. Ya cant take ANYTHING for granted on this one LOL... ws

Bill I had a heck of a problem diagnosing a problem with my bilge pumps, turns out that two of the breakers, both 32v would not hold a consistent amp rate even if it was below the specified rating. Further that the breakers would not "trip" just be an open circuit. Did not have a huge problem replacing them but I cant remember who made them, may have been Square D, but I'm not sure.

Chris

YUP--- sometimes I run the galley bilge pump on manual and it pops the breaker. I hope that never happens when I'm away. ws

6. Re: Not zapped

Guess this is one of the good thing about having a small Hatt... Only have 12v stuff and never had a bit of trouble with stuff like that....
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Isn't this the boat that was under water for a while? Do you think that had something to do with the bad breakers? Ron