Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

12 volt fan with 32volt current

Has anyone ever tried replacing the 32volt blowers in the heads, engine rooms with par 12volt fans ? I suspect it might work ??? And/or is there such a thing as an inexpensive transistor/diode or other magic device to put in line to step down the current at each device ?
    Harwood Burritt aka Woody

2. Re: 12 volt fan with 32volt current

i believe you'll need step down transformers.

Quote Originally Posted by captwoodyb View Post
    Has anyone ever tried replacing the 32volt blowers in the heads, engine rooms with par 12volt fans ? I suspect it might work ??? And/or is there such a thing as an inexpensive transistor/diode or other magic device to put in line to step down the current at each device ?

Re: 12 volt fan with 32volt current

You can do it but without reducing the voltage the motor will run much faster and probably self destruct. You could reduct the voltage in the circuit with resistors but the total current load would still be higher than it needs to be. Part of the current load is across the resistor and is yielding you nothing useful other than dropping the voltage. The real questions to ask yourself is why would you want too. 32 volt blowers are available so why bother.

4. Re: 12 volt fan with 32volt current

http://www.nokey.com/dor12vdc4amp.html

Could try something like this, they also make larger systems that you could run all of your fans on and just change your main wiring. I also know they make 32v - 12v step down transformers that you could put inline... When it comes to power they make anything and everything you can think of... lol

But like the other guy said, why would you want to? 32volt blowers are nice...

Quote Originally Posted by captwoodyb View Post

Transformers don't work with direct current.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckytek View Post
    Transformers don't work with direct current.
    yeah, people call stepping power supplies transformers unknowingly. Transformers work with induction...need AC for that