Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

What ya'll do for a living...carrer advice :)

Just to let everybody know that may not, I'm 23 and graduating from Virginia Tech in May 2008 with a mechanical engineering degree and biz minor. I've done several co-ops and have always been an entrepreneur.

I've always worked hard and always want to keep learning (if I'm not learning something new, I get bored). And obvously I have an interest in some expensive hobbies ahahah.

I was just wondering what people that can/try to afford hat's do for a living.

Re: What ya'll do for a living...carrer advice :)

Career advice? That's a tough one - their mums told John Lennon and Paul McCartney that they should be paying more attention in school and quit wasting their time fooling with music...

As far as a job/career - do what you want to do! As far as owning a Hatt, I wanted one when I was your age. At the time I was a Captain in the US ARMY with a 15ft Glastron! I left the Army at 28 but didn't get that Hatteras until I was 57!

Hopefully, you'll do better!

Hey Krush, my husband is an ME. Was doing that until 5 years ago, when he had enough of plant mgmt. in a manufacturing facility in NJ. He reinvented himself...LOL...and became a HS teacher, teaching whatelse...Physics and Chemistry. I am a special ed. teacher asst., so we love having the summers off together to do "our thing"..though we both work p/t for a tour boat co. for fun and some extra cash. He hopes someday to get his captain's license and be able to make use of it on the water.

As for Hatts...they come in lots of different price ranges. I love the older, classic motoryatchs and we plan on getting one in a year or two..

Tell us what you like about Hatts?

i am also an ME, and my senior here at work is an ME who did his undergrad stuff at Virginia tech. I work for sandia national labs in livermore, ca.
    you can check out our website here : http://www.sandia.gov/

unfortunately around here a bsme will only get you a job as a tech. an advanced degree is very helpful here. i have a phd so the projects i get to work on are quite interesting. the national labs are kinda like heaven for engineers. we have consistent funding and an excellent education assistance program. after you are here for a year you can return to grad school and the lab pays your tuition and part of your salary. you do need to commmit to stay at the lab for a couple of years after graduation.

I think MikeP's advice to do want you want to do is absolutely correct. if you hate going in every day find something else. have you considered boat surveying as a career? i knew a coupe of guys in hawaii who have done quite well in that field.

The problem for me is not finding a job, but finding one that I will enjoy. If you saw the pics in my other thread (http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7180) you can see some of the places I worked. I worked at a power plant one summer and it was great until I reached the last few weeks...why? Simple, I was so enthusiastic about learning and asking all the guys how to run the plant that I bascailly learned everything I could (I would read operation manuals when I wasn't busy). After I finished learning all that stuff I got bored haha.

I really want to work for a smaller company because I don't like the BS associated with large corporations. All through high school I worked as a boat mechanic (made my boss a ton of money). Once I started college I went out on my own and word of mouth would keep me busy in the summer.

Last year I started a small pile driving business with my bros and have done ok, but I can't run it and go to school full time. I was planning on doing more dock building this summer but instead I'm working full time building my brothers house! He lucked out and is getting free labor from me and my dad (retired). We are the general contractors and everytime I think we are inefficent or sloppy, the subs say we are doing better than some builders that have built 100+ houses.

My ultimate goal would be to run my own business of some type. Something that is high margin and without much competition. I think it's just in my blood (some of ya'll may understand it). I'd also like to stay in VA. I also plan on getting my PE asap...so obviously my first job(s) have to meet the experience requirments.

Obviously it's hard to really have good discussions and introductions on the internet, but I really am interested in what ya'll do for a living and always take any advice people give. I learned long ago that there is great wisdom to be had just by BS'n with "old farts"

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    My ultimate goal would be to run my own business of some type. Something that is high margin and without much competition.
    Gee, why didn't I think of that? Unfortunately, life is rarely that easy.

Get the PE. You'll need to work for the man for a bit but you'll get some good experience. After the PE is secured, absolutely chase the the dream of being your own boss. Most important - do what you love and you'll never have to "work" again.

7. Re: What ya'll do for a living...carrer advice :)

In 1970 I went to work for Southern Bell with the intention of "not staying long" as i was going to be a full time fishing guide , but then a wife and 2 kids came along and the pay and benifits were too good to leave.

In 2000 I left BellSouth after 30 yrs, but in the meantime I did commecial hook and line fishing in W. Palm Beach in the 80's and then ran my own fishing charter for 10 years here in Jacksonville.

In 2000 I started "Yachtmoves" as I had my master captains license and had also been doing that "off and on" since 1973.

In 2003 BellSouth called me back and I'm back to where I was.... Playing at 3 jobs.

The difference is, I went on medical leave from BellSouth (oops, we're now ATT) on April 19th and don't go back till July 25th and all is at full pay.....

My best friend is a full time fishing guide in Biscayne Bay and has been for over 30 years now.
    Last edited by Jaxfishgyd; 07-06-2007 at 05:32 PM.
    Charlie Freeman
    "No Dial Tone"
    1973 43' DCMY
    Fernandina Beach, Fl
    www.yachtmoves.com

Wendy Guest

I now work for myself as a real estate appraiser - love it. Took me a long time to figure out what I wanted to do. I finally realized that I work best for myself after spending years getting an MBA and doing the big corporate thing.

As for affording a Hatt - buy old!! Seriously, my husband and I both are committed to living well below our means in order to have a large boat and a paid off house. I firmly believe that debt free is the only way to go in life. We have about a year left of saving to pay cash - in the end the effort should be worth it. You have define what is important to you.

Good luck!

for get the money thing at first. find something you like to do and pursue that, nothing worse than being stuck in a dead end job that you hate. I did that for my first 15yrs, now i am doing something better but I still missed my true calling.

you find something that you have a true passion for and the money will follow in due time. of course you passion must be something you get paid for in order to make it in the money arena. I love to look a boobs but cant seem to make a living doing that. Now on the other hand Hugh Heffner made a pretty good living at looking at boobs so i guess anything is possible.

Now Steve is your true calling being a lumberjack?

I don't want to know the details if it is.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.