Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blown engine

Blown engine

I need a new engine for my small fishing boat.

It has a 3.7 165/170 mercruiser engine, it is the aluminum block with the ford head etc. But i would like to maybe upgrade to a 4.3 or a small v8. I believe it would be interchangeble without having to replace the whole thing or the transom bracket etc???? or if the price is right i will take the whole package!!

The replacemnt cost $$1800 for a long block and there is only one guy that has two left (in the area)

I do not have computer access on a regular basis so please call on my cell if anyone has some thing in the new england region within a 2 to 3 hr drive.

Mike. 401-527-5572
    I drive Boats and Save People!!!
    See my projects at the link

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ter/?start=all

Re: Blown engine

Call your local Jasper engine dealer. Jasper stocks almost all models of marine engines and seemed to be reasonable with their prices, both long blocks and complete engines. It might work nicely for you - it would be a drop in, simplfying the problem.
    Bear'
    1984 61' MY Strategic Plan

I have one of those engines in my old boat. It ran when I parked it 4 years ago (boat falling apart along with the horrible engineering thing they call I/O).

I'm in VA and you can have it for $100. It's a 470. That's the aluminum 4cyl you are talking about. Alternator doesn't work...it's got taht goofy thing built into the harmonic balancer and the parts were too much to fix it so I just ran it total loss haha.

Krush, were in va are you. can you give me a call? 401-527-5572, i have very limited computer access (once every two weeks?)

My dad is in norfolk/chesapeake/va beach triangle. might be a double purpose visit?? are selling the whole boat or just the engine???

Thanks, Mike.
    I drive Boats and Save People!!!
    See my projects at the link

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ter/?start=all